Monday, February 15, 2021

Morningstar: Chapter 19: Activists

 

Chapter 19:  Activists

 

          “Ya know Amanda, if we work really hard all day, we can get caught up and look at Bobby’s journal tomorrow.”

          “Maybe you can; but there’s no way I can get mine done by tonight.”

          “Sure you can!  We’ll do science and history together, then I’ll help you with anything else when I get done.”

          “Well, I’ll try.”

          Hey girl, there’s no try, only do,” I said with an encouraging smile and deep voice.  “Let’s start with history.”

          “Ok…  I’ll… we’ll do it,” she affirmed.

          “That’s my girlfriend.  While we’re at it, let’s see if Beth and/or D’Lisa can come over and help.  Between the two of them they’ve probably already done everything.  They’ll get us through this fast.”

          “Now that’s a plan!” Amanda added with enthusiasm, “I’ll call.”

          Within about 30 minutes both Beth and D’Lisa were at my house with books and notes in hand.  Of course, they insisted on a detailed update before they’d help so we obliged.  It was kind of good to talk through it again with good friends.  By now it didn’t seem near so freaky.

          With Beth and D’Lisa’s help we finished our homework in just a few hours.  Beth has a knack for explaining things, so everyone understood without making anyone feel stupid.  She pointed out some of the problems in D’Lisa’s homework and helped her make some needed corrections.

          “Do you guys wanna spend the night?” I asked.

          “I’d love to; but I’ve got church first thing in the morning;” answered Beth.  “How about next Friday?”

          “Sounds great.  Do you two want to come back next Friday?” I asked both Amanda and D’Lisa.

          “Sure!”

          “Sounds great.”

          “D’Lisa, what about tonight, do you want to stay over with me and Amanda?”

          “I’ll call; but I think I can.  I already went to church this morning so unless my family has something planned, I don’t know about, I should be able to.  Can I use your phone?”

          “Oh, can I use it too?  I need to call Jason for a ride,” added Beth.

          “Sure, go ahead.” answering both. 

          “My mom said it was ok, I don’t have to be home until tomorrow night.  She’s going to run my things over in a bit,” said D’Lisa.

          “Jason will be right over; I’d better get everything ready.”  Beth was putting all her books and notes in her backpack as she was talking.

          “Thanks for all your help Beth.”  I started helping Beth find her stuff and handed it to her to put in her bag.

          “Any time,” she responded.

          “Yeah, thanks Beth,” added Amanda as she got up and gave Beth a hug.

          “Thanks for helping me fix mine too;” added D’Lisa as she also gave Beth a hug.

          “Amanda then grabbed Beth’s backpack and said, “I’ll help you out.”

          Beth grinned and placing her hands on her hips, looking right at Amanda, said; “I don’t know about that, I need to get home, … tonight!.”

          Amanda then lightly punched Beth in the shoulder and said, “I promise, I’ll be quick.”

          “Ok then, get your coat and boots on.”  Then, looking at D’Lisa and me, “see you Anna, see you D’lisa.”

          “Bye, thanks again.”

          “See ya Monday,” added D’Lisa.

          I could hear a knock at the door and my dad answering, inviting Jason to come in just as Amanda and D’Lisa were walking from the den. 

          Almost immediately I could hear a bubbly, “Hi Jason!” from Amanda.  Jason, Beth, and Amanda were talking and added a short exchange with my dad as they walked out the door.  After only about ten minutes, I could hear the van start up and drive away.  Amanda was back in my bedroom soon after another short exchange between she and my dad. 

          “So, what do you two want to do?  Are you hungry?” I asked.

          “I’m a little hungry, could I… maybe just have a glass of milk and I think there’s some leftover eggplant?”

          “I’m hungry, but no eggplant for me;” responded D’Lisa with one of those, ‘gross, is she serious’, looks.

          “Hey, I couldn’t believe it either, but it’s really GREAT.  I tried it; you can try it.  If you don’t like it, there’s lots of other stuff to eat.”

          Somebody or everybody in the family had already gotten to the leftovers, but there was still barely enough for the three of us.  Amanda put it in the microwave and got a bite for D’Lisa to try.

          “Oh… my… gosh!  This is incredible.  Who made it?”

          “My mom,” beamed Amanda.  “She, can do, Italian!””

          “You’re kidding… Can you make it?”

          “I can make it; but it doesn’t taste anything like this,” laughed Amanda.  “I learned to cook a lot of things when it was just me and my dad; but not Italian.”

          We all had a big glass of milk and returned to my room.

          “So, what do you guys want to do now?” I asked.

          “You two can do what you want; but I’m really tired. I’m going to bed responded Amanda.

          “Well D’Lisa, what shall we do?”

          “Let’s see what’s on T.V. then go to bed.  I’ll call my mom again and see when she’ll be here.”

          “Sounds good, I guess I’m kind of tired too.  It’s been a big week,” I added with emphasis.

          We watched T.V. for about a half an hour.  D’Lisa’s mom brought some things over and my dad and I got to meet her.  There wasn’t anything very interesting on T.V. so D’Lisa and I crawled in bed too.

          That night I had another dream about Tye.  He was in the den again, but the east wall was gone.  I still couldn’t see his face clearly, he just stood there in a morning mist.  All he said was, “I’m glad you’re ok; but it’s not over.”  Then I saw Charlie, he wasn’t standing next to Tye; but off to the side and farther away in the distance.  He didn’t say anything, just looked at me and smiled.  I knew he was ok.

          The next morning when D’Lisa and I woke up, Amanda was already showered, dressed, and talking to my dad.  I soon found out Amanda had made French Toast for everybody.  She and my mom and dad had already eaten.  Breakfast was great.  I remember smiling and thinking how handy Amanda was to have around.  It also struck me, that for the first time in my life I had good friends, really good friends.  People I wasn’t NOW using and who weren’t trying to use me.  After breakfast D’Lisa and I made a plate for T.J., did the dishes, showered, and got dressed.

          “Are you guys ready to get started on Bobby’s journal?” I asked as I was booting up the computer.

          “I am,” responded Amanda enthusiastically as she pulled a chair up next to me.

          “Tell you what, I’m going to sit on the couch and look at your magazines while you two go through it.  If you find something really interesting, let me know.  Don’t worry, I’m fine.  I might turn on the T.V. for a while if that’s ok,” asked D’Lisa.

          “Yeah, sure.” I responded.  “Do you mind if we look at this for a while?”

          “No worries.  I’ll be fine.  Do your thing.  I might join you in a while,” added D’Lisa.

          I pulled up the first pages of the journal.  The first section was about Bobby’s parents.  I haven’t recorded near everything he wrote but wanted to include just a few things in my binder.

          “My father was a great man.  Probably the greatest man I have ever known.  He was, what many people today, would call an Indian Activist.  He died in what was ruled an automobile accident when I was 12.  His brakes failed while he was going over a pass.  I always wondered if it was really an accident.  His activism made him a lot of enemies over the years.”

          “Oh … my … gosh Anna, do you think Cid might have killed Bobby’s father?” asked Amanda. 

          “I don’t know; but I guess it’s possible.” I replied.  Then continuing to read from the journal…

          ‘I wish I had known my father longer and better. …  I remember him saying that you can’t trust the federal government.  You may not like the state government,  there’s plenty of idiots and corruption there too, but most of the time, you know where they stand.  The federal government is different.  They have many faces and many of the groups they work with and that work with us as Indian people, may start with good intentions; but often-times get overrun with greedy and corrupt people who have a greater desire for power and control than really helping anyone but themselves…  They are not all that way, some are genuine but misguided, others are genuine and really help, or at least try.  Some are even willing to listen while they help; but it takes time and a lot of wisdom to know who’s who and what’s what…’  There were lots of pages written about Bobby’s father and even more about his mother.  I’ve included just a few lines from what Bobby wrote about his mother.

          When my father died, we went to live with my mother’s people in Alaska.  She also had strong opinions and openly shared them with me but was not quite as outspoken as my father.  Her ways were more subtle. … While we lived in Alaska, there was a conflict over a small portion of the land belonging to my mother’s people.  In order to provide employment and empowerment to Alaskan Natives the leaders wanted to harvest timber from a very, very small portion of the lands belonging to the people.  Because of the interference and influence of powerful groups from other parts of the country, congress blocked the efforts of the people to help themselves… WITH THEIR OWN LAND!  I remember many times, my mother asking the rhetorical question; ‘How is it that a few people from Florida, California, and Washington DC know more about the land and the environment than the people who have cared for it for thousands of years.’  When talking about these people she would use descriptors such as: ignorant, meddlers, controlling and contemptuous.  …… Sometimes they use half-truths, fear, alarm and make our people poor and dependent, so they can be more easily controlled. … Usually, she talked about the groups they represented; but for some reason there was one person she especially held in contempt.  She called him, Hasim.

          “That sounds familiar.  Haven’t we heard that name before?” asked Amanda.

          “It does; but I don’t remember from where.  I hate to go back through all the records again now.  Let’s just make a side note and see if we can remember it or if we come across it again.  It looks like D‘Lisa’s asleep.  We should do something with her for a while.  Do you want to play a game?” I asked. 

          “Sure, let’s wake her up. She likes Clue.  Do you have it?”

          “Yeah, I think so.  I’ll get it.  You wake her up.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so, do you have a recipe for that spinach salad! Sounds delicious I am enjoying your book. Thanks for proving on line access

CR Petersen said...

Yes I do, and thank you. I don't know that it's online success unless a lot more read.
But...
Here are two variations:
http://quickhealthymealsonabudget.blogspot.com/2015/06/wilted-spinach-salad-with-mandarin.html

and

https://quickhealthymealsonabudget.blogspot.com/2021/02/wilted-spinach-salad.html