Friday, February 5, 2021

Morningstar: Chapter 13: Friendship

 

Chapter 13: Friendship

 

          Amanda and I both crashed as soon as we got home.  Neither of us woke up until about 7: P.M.  She was awake when I got back from the bathroom and we both wanted, needed, to talk.

          I told Amanda everything, about the investigation, about the letters and pictures from Charlie, about Carl Stuki, about how I had used her and Beth, about how guilty I felt, about how sorry I was, and about how much I had grown to love her as the dearest friend I’d ever had.

          “I want to show you everything I’ve collected and then I want to get rid of all of it, except the picture of me and you at Charlie’s.  Kind of my way of letting go.  I’ve got everything in a couple boxes, I’ll go get them. …

          If you hate me and want to go home, I understand.”

          “You go get your boxes and while you’re gone, I want to use your computer.”

          “Ok.”

          Amanda got on the computer in the den and went onto the internet while I was pulling boxes out of the hiding place in my closet.  When I got back with the boxes.  She handed me a piece of paper she had printed off the internet.

          Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away.

George Eliot quotes (English Victorian Novelist. Pseudonym of Mary Ann Evans, 1819-1880)’

          “When I first read this about a year ago, I decided I wanted to BE this kind of friend for someone.  I am and hope I’ll always be this type of friend to you.”

          “Thank you, that means so much to me.  I really do love you.”  We put our arms around each other and gave each other another long hug amidst some gentle tears.

          “Now, before you show me what’s in the boxes, can I talk to you about some things.  I just have to talk to somebody.”

          “Sure,” We both sat down, legs crossed, on the couch in the den.

          “I didn’t want to go home because there’s been lots of tension ever since Uncle Charlie died.  It’s hasn’t exploded yet because of all the people going in and out, but I knew that as soon as the funeral was over it would erupt.”

          “I don’t understand.”

          “My mom hates everything Shoshone.  After I was born, and we had to move in with my grandmother.  My mom hated it so much she left for a few years and went back to her parents in Sicily.  I think she still loved my dad because she came back a couple years ago, but she didn’t want anything to do with my Shoshone relatives.”

          “But she married your dad?”

          “She came here to college.  She grew up watching all those old Westerns back in Italy.  I think there was something romantic about marrying an Indian and I think it may have been even more romantic that he was half French.  Then when my dad wasn’t working very much and we were living with my grandmother, she grew to hate everything Indian.  Maybe even me, I don’t know, but like my dad, I’m part Indian.”

          “I’m sure she doesn’t hate you.”

          “Well, I don’t know, she at least hated part of me.  Anyway, she was furious and embarrassed that me and my dad were wearing traditional regalia to the burial and service today. 

          They needed some time to blow up and either split up or work it out.  I just didn’t want to be there, and I think it was better for them to be alone.”

          “Oh, wow, I never dreamed there were problems between your parents.  I guess I’m kind-a lucky.  No matter what’s happened over the years, so many problems with T.J., the business falling apart and them going bankrupt, me giving them such a hard time, I’ve never worried about them splitting up.  Sometimes they argue, but they just always work it out.”

          “You’re lucky.”

          “Yeah… I guess so.  It’s something else I guess I’ve never really thought about; but I guess you’re right.  I’m glad they’ve always been able to work through stuff.  So… do you want your mom to stay?”

          “I don’t want the tension. … It’s not all my mom’s fault. … I guess I want them both to grow up enough to work it out. … If they can do that, yeah, I’d want my mom to stay.”

          “I hope that’s what happens then.”

          “Thanks, me too.”

          “Can I ask you another question?”

          “Sure, anything.”

          “What’s going on with Tom???  He’s been following you around like a lost puppy.”

          “I’m not interested; besides, I don’t even think he really likes me.  I think he likes D’Lisa but she scares him.  She’s not shy ya know.”

          I laughed and responded; “Yeah, I know; but ya gotta love her!”

          “Yeah, she’s great!”

          “Maybe we should fix things for them.”

          “I don’t know, I kind-a think things will work out on their own.”

          “OK, we can wait and see… for a while,” I replied with a grin.  Now, let’s go through the boxes.”

          Everything was arranged chronologically, and we started at the beginning with me pulling out the first articles and pictures I found on the internet.  I was staring at one of the first pictures I found of the Lings and after a long pause, Amanda interrupted my fixation.

          “Every time you look at a picture of the Lings, you seem to drift off.  Especially that one at Uncle Charlie’s … by the way. …  Sorry I didn’t believe you about it being the Lings.  I still don’t understand.”

          “Don’t worry about it.  I’m sorry I even thought you might be lying about how long it had been there.  None of it makes any sense. … Sometimes I just think about them, especially about Tye, I wonder what it would have been like to have known him.  I wonder where he is. … NOT that I’m obsessed or anything… I‘ve just built him up in my mind so much I could probably never settle for anyone less.”

          “Sooo, do you dream about him?” asked Amanda with a big grin.

          “Yeah! lots; but I don’t think I really want to talk about it anymore, remember I’m getting rid of all this stuff.  I still feel like I’m partially to blame for Charlie’s death.  I just don’t even want to think about any of it anymore.”         

          “Well, none of it is your fault and I’m sure Uncle Charlie wouldn’t think so either.”    

          “Thanks. … that’s what my dad thought too, but I still feel horrible.

          Ok! …… The next section’s from the library.”

          “You spread it all out, I’ve got to go to the bathroom.”

          “Ok, I’ll have it all ready. Do you remember where the bathroom is? It looks like there’s a light on in the kitchen.”

          “Yep, I remember.  Be right back.”

          I laid out all my notes from the library and the strange drawing I had copied, all on the floor.  After a minute or two, T.J. came wondering into the den.

          “T.J., what are you doing down here?” I demanded.

          “I have to pee and someone’s in the bathroom.”

          “Just turn around and go back to the kitchen and wait.  Amanda will be right out;” I demanded again.

          “Hey!  That’s my picture!”

          “T.J., what are you talking about.  You’re half asleep.”

          “That’s my picture on the floor.”  T.J. pointed to the drawing of the four stones I had copied from the library.  “It was in the book behind the rock… and it’s mine.  I found it!!!”

         

         

 

 

 

No comments: