Saturday, February 6, 2021

Morningstar: Chapter 17: Sgt. McKay

 


Chapter 17: Sgt. McKay

 

          “Ok, girls, what’s this all about?”

          “Amanda and I were outside, looking over the house.  Over on the east side there are a couple of really old caduceus’, you know, the medical symbol, etched into stone.  One of the stones was loose and this laminated note was behind it.”  I handed my dad the note.  He slowed down, pulling to the side of the road to read, then continued.  “The Johnson’s were the ones who built the house.  I read about them in some research I was doing.  She was a Doctor, which was probably why they had the caducei on the house.  Anyway, the entrance of their house faced east, out of the den, which used to be a parlor.  By the way, I meant to tell you there is an original floor plan of the house and then another with additions, over in special collections at the university.”

          ““I thought you said you weren’t worried about the house and the Ling disappearance?”

          “I wasn’t worried; but I was still a little curious.”  That was surely an understatement.  “Besides, you know me, I like to research and learn stuff… anyway, me and Amanda took a look under the stone step, which by the way wasn’t easy; but it was worth it, because we found all of this stuff… There are pictures of Carl Stuki, and some other guy spiking trees and some articles about it, and a bunch of negatives.”

          By this time, we were pulling up to T.J.’s school, waiting for him to come out.  My dad picked up each item and looked at it carefully, reading all the articles and opening the film canisters to look at the negatives.  Something I was kicking myself for not thinking to do myself.

          “Dad, the pictures are Carl Stuki.  We don’t know who the other guy is, but he was just outside our house and tried to get a hold of the box this was all in.  I don’t know what would have happened if Mrs. Pearson hadn’t come around the corner.  He took off as soon as she showed up and her dogs started barking.  I think the package Charlie had was a copy of all this.  I think this is why Bobby and Charlie were killed.”

          “Well, I can’t imagine Molly and Jack scared anyone, but maybe he didn’t want anyone else to see him.  If that’s true, it makes this even more serious.  This is pretty damning stuff; but let’s not jump to conclusions, not just yet.  Let’s let the police figure this all out.  Here comes T.J.”

          As soon as T.J. opened the door; “hi dad.” Followed by an enthusiastic, “hi Amanda!” Then a more subdued.  “Anna, I’m mad at you.”

          “I know T.J., I’ll talk to you about it in a little bit.  First, we’re going to the police station for a few minutes.”

          “Police!  What for?  Is somebody in trouble?”

          “None of us are in trouble T.J.  Anna, Amanda, and I just need to talk to someone there for a few minutes.  There will be someone out front that will visit with you and keep an eye on you.  It’s sort of like a field trip.  It’ll be fun,” explained my dad. 

          My dad had replaced everything in the plastic box and handed it back to me before T.J. got in the car.  We drove in silence.  I became more anxious with every minute and I think Amanda did too.

          As soon as we walked into the station, my dad walked up to the front desk and asked; “Is Sergeant McKay in?  It’s very important.”

          “He’s just about to leave, let me see if I can catch him;” replied a pretty young officer in a reasonably fashionable uniform.  She picked up the phone and pushed a button.  “Tom, there are some people here to see you, they say it’s really important.”  Then after a pause she looked at my dad again.  “What is your name, please?”

          “Dave Turner, with my daughter Anna and her friend Amanda Collier.” …

          “You heard that?  Ok, I’ll tell them to have a seat.”

          “Thanks, and I heard that too.  When we go in, would you please keep an eye on my son.  I don’t want him to hear all this and his mom’s not home yet.  He has Downs and I’ll give him one of your travel magazines to look at.  He’ll be content to just look at the pictures.  If you could just make sure he doesn’t wander off, I’d appreciate it.  If he has to go to the bathroom or anything, just call me and I’ll come out and help.”

          “Sure thing Mr. Turner.  We’ll keep an eye on him.  In fact, if you don’t mind, I’ll have one of the officers show him around.”

          “That would be great.  He’ll love that,  and thanks,” responded my dad.  The officer then picked up the phone again and pushed a button and said, “Serena, would you come up front and show a young man around the police station?”  My dad then introduced T.J. to the two officers and them to him.  “T.J. these officers are going to show you around and keep an eye on you for a bit.  Please follow their directions.”  T.J. then shook hands with both officers.

          “Mr. Turner, Anna, nice to see you again.  It’s not Friday quite yet and I don’t have a lot to tell you.”  A smiling Sergeant McKay walked into the lobby with his hand extended towards my dad.

          “Actually, Sergeant McKay, we have more evidence to share with you.  Can we come in?”

          “Sure, come on in.”

          The four of us walked back to Sergeant McKay’s office while one of the officers was talking with T.J. and just starting to show him around the station. 

          When we reached the office and sat down, my dad began.  “Anna and Amanda, why don’t you tell Sergeant McKay what you found.”

          We both explained and showed Sergeant McKay the note, and the plastic box with its contents.  Amanda pointed out the other man and the car in the pictures and we recounted our encounter with the white-haired man from earlier in the day.  Sergeant McKay had a large lighted magnifying glass that he used to look at all the pictures.  Placing everything down on his desk and without saying a word, he picked up his phone.

          “Would you please have Detective Jones step in here for a minute?”

          Within seconds a tall, burly man knocked on the door and stepped in.  Still without saying a word, Sergeant McKay grabbed a file out of his drawer plus the items we brought, then stepped out into the hall with the detective and closed the door behind him.  We heard a door close in what sounded like a room next to the one we were in.  We couldn’t tell what they were saying but could hear muffled agitated voices with a tone of urgency in their voices.  By this time Amanda’s and my eyes were about as big as saucers and my dad’s face had a look of increasing concern.

          After ten or fifteen minutes, Sergeant McKay reentered his office, empty handed.

          “Ladies, would you mind waiting out in the lobby, I’d like to visit with your dad.”

          “Sure,” we both stammered.

          Sergeant McKay then walked to his door and opened it for us as I shot a questioning look at my dad.

          “It’s ok girls, I’ll be out in a while,” assured my dad.

          Well, my dad wasn’t out in a while.  T.J. had come back to the lobby and I explained that I had returned the book, which he acknowledged, but still wasn’t very happy the doll was gone when he got up in the morning.  I told him I would let him hold it again tonight or tomorrow with my very close supervision.  He did not seem quite as mad at me after that.  We waited for quite a while longer then my mom walked in looking almost white as a ghost.  She just walked up and gave me and then Amanda a big hug.

          “Mom, what are you doing here?”

          “We’ll talk about it later.  Right now, your dad and Sergeant McKay are waiting for me.”

          As soon as she realized who my mom was, the officer at the front desk, walked into the lobby and introduced herself to my mom and then walked her down the hall.  Right after my mom disappeared, both Amanda’s parents walked in.  Amanda’s mom ran up to Amanda and gave her a big hug and in a little more curt, tone turned toward me.

          “Hi Anna.”  I could almost feel the ice.  I knew who she was blaming.  Amanda’s dad then gave Amanda and then me a hug.  They both looked pretty pale.  All Amanda could say was.

          “Mom, Dad?”

          Amanda’s dad then gave her another hug, stoking her hair saying; “don’t worry, we’ll get this figured out.”  Both Amanda’s parents then followed the same officer down the hall.

          “I’m getting hungry, can we go?” asked T.J.

          “No, not yet T.J.  I guess they have to talk about some things.”

          One of my parents must have realized T.J. would be asking for food because pretty soon the phone rang at the front desk and the officer got up and brought us some bags of chips and a banana for each of us.  Not much of a dinner, but enough to fight back the hunger pangs the three of us were feeling.  After another, what seemed like very long wait, the officer at the front desk took another call and then came out to talk to us with another officer right behind her.

          “They’re just about done; but they want to talk with the two of you together.”  Then turning to T.J.  “You’ll stay with me, but they’ll be out in just a few minutes.  Do you want a glass of milk?”

          “Sure, thanks.”

          “Ok, girls follow officer Bromley back to the conference room.  She’ll bring some milk back for you, T.J.”

          Officer, Bromley looked pretty young too.  Not more than 20 or 21, I thought.  She had blond hair, a strikingly beautiful face, and more the demeanor of a jovial surfer than a serious policewoman.  We followed her down a different hall and into a conference room where both our parents, Sergeant McKay and Detective Jones were already sitting.  Our parents were still looking a little pale, but some of the color was starting to come back into their faces.

          Detective Jones then stood up and gesturing towards the table said, have a seat girls.  There was one seat available between each of our parents.  I could feel my heart pounding in my throat.  Sweat was just pouring out of my hands and feet.  I wondered if Amanda was feeling as distressed and anxious as I was.

          “Sergeant McKay and I have been talking with your parents.  We’ve been able to identify the other man in the picture and have already been able to get warrants for the arrest of both men.  It’s a difficult situation because Mr. Stuki’s girlfriend is one of the county dispatchers.  She’s not working today and so far; we haven’t been able to find either Mr. Stuki or the other man.  We had someone talk with Mrs. Pearson and she corroborated your story and the description.  The officer said she had no problem getting Mrs. Person to talk,” he added with a grin. 

          As soon as he said someone talked with Mrs. Pearson I knew that everyone in the neighborhood would know about it by the time we got home, and eventually everyone in school… I wondered why they didn’t mention the name of the white-haired guy.

          “This is a lot bigger than just Logan and someone from another agency may want to talk to you.  Either Sergeant McKay or I will let you know.  You’ve given us a lot of important information and I want to thank you.  We talked this over with your parents and it will be easier to keep an eye on the two of you if you’re together.  You’re both going to stay at Anna’s house.”  I was so relieved when he said that.   I thought Amanda’s mom would never let her see me again.  “Amanda, your dad is going to sleep on the coach at Anna’s and your mom is going to stay in……” then looking down at some notes, “T.J.’s room.  T.J. is going to sleep on the floor in his parent’s room.  The two of you will sleep in Anna’s room.  We’re going to have a car drive by your house every 20 minutes or so.  In fact, I started having an officer keep an eye on your house right after I left Sergeant McKay’s office.  So far everything seems to be ok. 

          Tomorrow morning the resource officer will pick the two of you up for school and then take you both home again.  We’ll keep this up until they’re both picked up.  Thanks again for bringing us this information.  Oh, one more thing, I want you both to keep this pepper spray with you.”  Detective Jones then handed both of us a can of pepper spray.  My second since moving to Logan.  I guessed I didn’t have to worry any more about Mrs. Pearson spreading rumors, being taken to and from school by the resource office would be enough to start intense rumors with or without Mrs. Pearson.

          ‘But was that it?’ I thought…  No ‘do you have any questions?  How about a stun gun?’  Deep breaths Anna,’ I thought to myself.  Both Sergeant McKay and Detective Jones then got up and left the room.  Leaving us with our parents who immediately gave us both hugs again.

          Serge was the first to speak; “I’m so sorry you got involved with all of this Anna.  Charlie and Bobby and now this.”  I wasn’t sorry… exactly, but I was sure freaked out.

          “Anna, I’m sorry I was so rude to you when I first got here.  I was just so worried.”  Stephanie then walked over and gave me a hug.

          I returned the hug and said, “I understand.”

          “Amanda, I’m sorry that you got pulled into all of this,” added my dad.

          “Well, if some very bad people get put away, this will all turn out to have been worth it.  Right now, the police are doing everything they can to keep everyone safe,” added my logical mom.

          “So, what else did they say?” pleaded Amanda.

          Serge then looked at my mom and dad who both nodded and then said.  “We had a few minutes to talk alone before you were brought in.  The police didn’t actually say this, but we all kind of read between the lines and don’t think the police believe Carl killed either Bobby or Charlie.  They think this other guy did it; but they didn’t give us his name either.  We asked why we needed to take so many precautions since they had all the evidence and there wouldn’t be anything to gain from hurting either of you and they just said this other guy doesn’t think that way.  They believe Carl was involved in some bad things, but think the other guy is the murderer.  It sounded like, if he did kill either Bobby or Charlie or both of them, it may not have been his first or even his second murder.”

          “Let’s go home.  Stephanie’s going to teach me her lasagna recipe.  Stephanie and Serge are going to grab some things, including some ingredients from their house and will be right over.”  My mom was forcing a smile as she talked and placed her hand on my shoulder.

          “Amanda, you go ahead and go with the Turners, we’ll be right there,” added Stephanie, forcing a smile of her own.

No comments: