Saturday, March 20, 2021

Morningstar: Conspiracy: Chapter 1: Home

 Chapter 1: Home

 

          The sense of smell creates our most powerful, most emotional memories.  When I awoke to the incredibly delicious aroma of fresh baked bread, German pancakes, sausages, scrambled eggs, and rhubarb-apple pie, a flood of memories flashed through my mind.  Childhood memories from all the days and nights spent in the Teeples’ home so many years ago.  As soon as I filled my lungs with the smell, I was out of bed and down the stairs in the pajamas Jason had loaned me.  I knew there would be fresh milk and orange juice with breakfast.  Right behind me were both Jason and Beth, also in their pajamas.  It seemed so natural, like old times.

          As soon as we got to the kitchen, Sarah let out the biggest laugh, I’ve ever heard from her.

          “What’s so funny mom?” asked Beth

          After Sarah regained some control of herself, she finally spoke, still cracking up as she talked; “Just look at the three of you.  Just like when you were kids.  For one thing, if any other boy, or girl, your age was here, there’s no way any of you’d be down here in your pajamas.  And for a second reason, just go in the family room and look in the mirror.”

          All three of us did just as Sarah asked; then we all broke out laughing.  We must have been too tired the day before, and too hungry, when we got a whiff of breakfast to notice how small the pajamas were on us.

          “Talk about high waters Beth, how much do you think you’ve grown?” asked Jason.

          “Well, I just haven’t gotten around to measuring, but I sure didn’t think it was this much.  Guess we’ll have to go shopping…and thanks to you Tye, we’ve got shoppin money;” responded Beth cheerfully.

          The three of us returned to the kitchen and just pitched in like it was yesterday, when Jason and I, plus Mia and Beth would help get the table ready for breakfast.

          “You really cooked a monster breakfast mom; I think you’ve got all our favorites.  Thanks.  It’s sure good to be home;” said Jason

          Which was immediately followed by a “thanks mom,” and a hug from Beth and another, “thanks,” and a hug from me.  It felt so good, so like home, to be in Sarah’s arms again.

          “Before we eat, Max wanted me to get him.  He doesn’t want to miss anything, and he wants to say morning prayer with you.  I’ve got everything warming so it’ll be hot when we eat.  I’ll be right back;” said Sarah as she left the kitchen.

          I could see her walk out the back door, then out to Max’s shop through the window.  The two of them were back within just a couple more minutes.

          “I’ll just wash up here in the kitchen.  Sarah made me promise not to do anything that would really get me dirty.  I’ll be right there.”

          Max washed in the sink and knowing the routine, we all kneeled at our chairs by the table and were soon joined by Max, who thanked God for our return and my visit, for the food and our freedoms.  He then asked God to bless all of us, our families, our nation, and the food Sarah had prepared.  Max ended in Jesus’ name and we all said Amen.

          “I guess you kids have a lot to tell us;” began Max as we started to enjoy the incredible breakfast Sarah had prepared.  “Probably a lot more than you can say in one sitting, so before you start, how long will you be with us Tye?  I want to make sure we hear about your family while you’re here.”

          “I think I’ll be here for about a year.  Don’t worry; I’m not planning on staying in your den.”

          Sarah quickly interrupted, “you could, and we’d love to have you as long as you want to stay.”

          “Well, you know I love you a bunch; but I’ll be here a while and I’d really like a little space of my own.”

          “How about this Tye, there’s a space above my shop that I’ve wanted to convert into a studio apartment for a long time, Jason and I have been working at it when we’ve had time.  It’s insulated and has a toilet, shower and sink.  It’s not finished but its personal space.  If you want, you can have it while you’re here.”

          “I really appreciate that; but there’s things I need to do while I‘m here and that might not work out the best for me.”

          “Up to you Tye, we’re always here for you.”

          “I know, and really appreciate it.”

          Max finished a bite, he was chewing and directed; “Now kids, tell us everything.”

         

“Did you guys read Anna’s binder?” asked Jason.

          “We saw it and read some of it, including the part about the portal and all of the ending… still seems pretty crazy.  By the way Jason, the next time you’re in a life and death situation where it might be critical for someone to be able to read what you’ve written, print!” Sarah pleaded.

          “Sorry mom, we were panicked,” then after a slight chuckle, “besides, nothing like that is ever going to happen to me again.”

          “I hope not!  So, what happened after you guys went through the portal?”

          Jason looking at Beth; “why don’t you start?  You went through before I did.”

          “Some of it’s hard to remember, we were pretty panicked too.  We had grabbed onto Bekah trying to pull her away from Sid then all the sudden we got pulled through.  I had no idea what it was or where we were until Anna explained it later.  In a way it probably saved our lives because I’m sure Sid wasn’t going to leave any of us alive to be witnesses.  Just the way he was acting, I knew he planned on killing all of us, as soon as he had what he wanted from Bekah.

          Anyway, the next thing I remembered, after we got pulled through was both Amanda and me lying on the ground.  One of the Bloods was fighting with Bekah and hit her really hard.  I don’t know if it knocked her out, but she stopped fighting.   The other one was fighting with Sid.  Sid cut him; but he killed Sid.  As soon as Sid fell to the ground that Blood made sure Sid was dead and then started after us; but they must have both seen the Shoshoni, because they ran to their horses carrying Bekah and took off.  A bunch of Shoshoni chased after them and a bunch surrounded us.  Right about then Jason and Anna came through with a bunch of backpacks and things.

          We thought we were all dead.  Right when we came through, we couldn’t tell the difference between a Blood and a Shoshoni, didn’t even know what a Blood was; but we sure do now!

          Anyway, Amanda said something in Shoshoni.  They didn’t understand it at first, but a couple started laughing and said something back.  Amanda didn’t have a clue what they were saying.  I guess Shoshoni has changed quite a bit in the last couple hundred years or so.  … Jason, do you want to tell the next part?”

          “Sure, almost as soon as Anna and I were through we were surrounded.  They looked pretty menacing and pretty mad.  I started fumbling in my pocket for Sid’s pistol and I could tell Anna was grabbing her pepper spray.” 

          Imagining Anna using pepper spray on a large group of adrenaline pumped Shoshoni warriors made me chuckle.  “Sorry, I was just thinking about what might have happened if Anna had actually used the pepper spray, or if you had used the gun for that matter.  None of us would be here right now.”

          “Yeah, I’m sure you’re right,” continued Jason, “if those two hadn’t laughed at Amanda’s attempt to speak Shoshoni, which really calmed things down quite a bit, we’d probably all be dead, well not Tye, but the rest of us.  Some of this almost seems funny now, but none of it was at the time.”

          After some silence and a few bites of food, Jason continued; “To tell you the truth, though, we had it pretty easy compared to Bekah.  Even Anna had it better than Bekah, and Anna almost died.  I think we all got pretty sick and we’ve had some bad nicks and scraps, a few broken bones; but Bekah had the worst of it.

          There’s a lot to talk about and a lot to tell you; but Tye and I have to pick up some materials and go over and fix Anna’s window.  Then all three of us need to do some clothes shopping. … Well maybe I’d at least better get some jeans and a shirt to work in first.  I don’t think I have anything that’ll fit, and I really don’t want to walk around town in the clothes I came home in yesterday.”

          “You’re not going shopping without me, Amanda, and Anna, are you???” asked Beth.

          “No,” answered Jason.  “I’ll just get one pair of jeans and one shirt. After we fix the window, we’ll all go shopping together.”

          “Do you kids need some money?” asked Max as he started for his wallet.

          Before Max could reach his pocket, I interjected, “no, we’re fine.  I brought some money with me.  Enough to live on for the year and travel a little too, which I’ll probably do while I wait to go home.”

          “How do you have so much money?” asked Sarah with a bewildered look on her face.  Then after a little pause, she added; “sorry, that’s really none of my business.  Knowing your family, however you came by it, I’m sure it was honest.”

          I laughed, “It’s ok Sarah, there’s absolutely nothing you can’t ask me.  You’re like my mom, and she can ask me anything.  The US debt and corruption just got so bad the dollar finally collapsed.  The whole economy kind of imploded.  Lots of changes had to be made in a hurry.  There was a lot of chaos and hardship for a while.  It was about as bad as you could possibly imagine.  Maybe worse.  After that, the dollar has been just a collector’s item and not a very popular one at that.  My parents collected a lot of it for practically nothing just in case one of us would need to come back to this time, and here I am.  It’s not like I’ve got millions; but I’ve got enough.  Most of its hidden where I hid the stones; but I’ve got some and I gave a little to everyone who came back through the portal.  Enough to get started on a new wardrobe at least.”

          “I’d like to talk to you more about that when we’ve got a chance;” said Max.

          Realizing I’d probably said more that I should have and not knowing quite what to say, I just said; “that’s about all there is.  I’m sure you can put the rest of the pieces together; but I’m sorry, I really can’t go into detail about too much of the future.  I probably shouldn’t have said what I just did.”

          Max kind of grumbled but looked like he understood.  After another pause, while everyone continued to eat, Jason cleared his throat; “I was wondering, do you mind if we ask Amanda and her folks over for dinner tonight?  Maybe grandpa too.  We’ve really been worried about how Stephanie is going to react to all of this.  Maybe if we all get together and talk, it’ll help ease things for them a little.  I’m sure she’s pretty freaked out, and that’s understandable; but I’m thinking it might be easier on them if we got together. … It might be best if Beth called, if it’s ok with you.”

          “Yeah, that’s fine son.” then turning to Sarah, Max asked; “is that ok with you dear?”

          “Yes, that would be great, then you can all tell us more about what happened; but,” … Sarah’s look grew more intent as she stared into Jason’s eyes.  Guessing the question and the answer, it was hard for me not to laugh. 

          “Is there anything your dad and I need to talk with you about in private?”

          “It’s all good mom!  Snap, we weren’t even together most the time we were gone.  Both Amanda and Beth spent most of their time with Charlie; while I was with Bobby.”

          Max and Sarah looked a little relieved, but that quickly turned to a look of astonishment.     

          “Charlie??  Bobby??” questioned Sarah with surprise.

          “We’ll explain it all tonight;” answered Beth.

          “Thanks for breakfast!” I said earnestly as I stood up.  “We’ve got a long day ahead.  Do you want some help cleaning up?”

          “No, you two get going on that window… AND you need to tell me all about Dahnaya when you get back,” answered Sarah, “Beth can help me clean up.”

          I could barely hear Beth whisper to Sarah; “I’m sure Tye’s pretty anxious to see Anna.” 

          She was right.  Jason and I quickly took a shower and got dressed.  Jason’s clothes were clean, but at least mine fit.  I didn’t think I looked near as funny as he did. 

          When we got downstairs and just as we were leaving, Beth called out; “I got a hold of Amanda.  They’re all coming over for dinner.”  Jason’s smile grew so big I thought he’d explode.


No comments: