Saturday, January 9, 2021

Morningstar: Chapter 7: Charlie Blackeagle

 Chapter 7: Charlie Blackeagle

 

          This section is about my first, and to my knowledge, my only meeting with Charlie Blackeagle. 

          Right up until that day and for the next couple weeks, it was the most unusual encounter of my life. 

 

          By the time Friday came around, I’d asked and heard more stories about Charlie Blackeagle.  It seemed like most people thought he was anywhere from a little touched to a raving lunatic.  There were a few who seemed to genuinely love him; but then some people love lunatics.  Coming from San Francisco I figured I’d heard and seen about everything so I wasn’t too worried.  I slept in, a little, but still had time to review all my notes on Charlie.  I was starting to organize my notes chronologically according to when I heard or read something about the disappearances.  That’s what I’m doing here, entering all the most important information from my notes and journal in chronological order.   I also organize the same information according to my source: for example, everything that came from Bekah was in one section.  Everything from Carl in another, etc.  In addition, I had everything organized by subject.  For example, everything I had heard about Charlie Blackeagle was in a section with detailed notes with who I heard it from and when I heard it.   This may seem a little obsessive compulsive; but this would give me the same information in four different contexts.  (My mom says I’m a bit obsessive compulsive, but she says that’s OK, it serves me well.)  Hopefully, this will all help me better understand and discover the truth.  I am not anywhere near done with this; but I did have everything I had heard about Charlie organized in one section before going to meet him.   For example: I’d learned he was drafted into the Vietnam war and became a career sergeant in the Army until he lost his leg in the 1st Gulf War.  He has a prosthetic leg.  He is also a member of the Snake, or Shoshone Nation.

          At about 7:30 A.M.  I found my dad to remind him that he was taking me and Amanda over to her uncle Charlie’s.  He said he was just going to take T.J. to school and would be right back and asked me what time I wanted to leave. 

          “Thanks, about 9: A.M,” I replied.

          He then said that would be fine and left the house with T.J.  I remember I didn’t even say goodbye to T.J.  I actually hardly ever spoke to T.J.  So that wasn’t anything new.  I usually didn’t speak to him unless mom or dad told me to help him with something… or when I was kicking him out of my room… or chewing him out for something.  After they left, I returned to my room to organize my notes, get ready, and call Amanda to let her know what time we’d be there.

          At about 9: A.M. I returned to the living room with my usual backpack with note pad, pens, pencil, and my mom’s cell that she insisted I take.  I was glad to have it as it had proven valuable at Bekah’s.  “Dad, can we go now?” I hollered through the house as I put my coat and boots on. 

          “SURE.” I could hear him bounding down the stairs. 

          “Thanks for taking me dad, here’s the address.” 

          When we arrived at Amanda’s she was watching for us and came right out to the car.  As soon as she opened the door, she greeted us with her wide smile, first looking at my dad in the front, “Great to see you Mr. Turner, how have you been?” 

          My dad turned and smiling back, “really good Amanda, how have you been?”

          I must admit that even though I really liked her, this cheeriness was a little irritating. 

          Amanda then turned to me and said, “how are you doing?  You look great.” 

          That was hard to believe, I had just thrown some things on and didn’t have any makeup.  She was the one who looked great, even without any makeup, no matter how she wore her hair, she always looked like a model. … And then there were those huge dark eyes, I thought I’d kill for eyes like that.  No wonder Jason asked us snowmobiling.  Just to be pleasant, I responded, “I’m doing good, great to see you.  I’m so excited about meeting your uncle.”  That part was true, I was excited to meet her uncle and hoped he’d tell me something important.  I had no idea how crucial our visit would be.  Amanda and I chatted about classes and school and she must have brought up Jason and the snowmobile trip at least a couple hundred times, (little exaggeration there, but probably not much).  She talked to my dad a bunch of times, not just to give directions but also to ask him questions about how the remodeling was going, and personal things about him, like where he grew up, and his family when he was a kid.  I thought it kind of weird, but my dad seemed to enjoy it.  She actually seemed sincere and genuinely interested. 

          After what seemed like no time at all, probably because of all her talking and questions, she pointed and practically jumped out of her seat, abruptly exclaiming, “OH, it’s here, sorry.  I can’t believe we’re already here.”  My dad came to a sliding stop almost going off the road into a ditch.  “Sorry about that,” she said in a breathy, slightly high pitched, but quieter voice as she dropped her head, lifted her shoulders, and scrunched her face. 

          My dad took a deep breath and replied; “oh no problem.  I’ll know what to look for when I come back.” 

          “Do you want to meet my Uncle Charlie?” Amanda asked my dad. 

          “Sure,” my dad responded as we all got out of the car and walked towards the house.  Charlie’s house was a small, plain, older; but, well-kept home, with smoke rising gently from a chimney on the right.  The front porch looked almost as large as the house, at least from where I was standing.  There was a large swing out front.  It hung from the porch ceiling.  An older man, dressed in jeans, heavy winter boots and what looked like a heavy sheepskin coat was sitting on the swing, carving.  He had very long black hair pulled back in a ponytail. 

          As we approached Amanda called out to him, “behne” as she ran to greet him.  He looked up and smiled with a smile as big as hers and stood with some difficulty to give her an enormous hug.  Even from where I was, when Charlie rose from the swing to hug Amanda, I could tell he was missing his left leg from just below the knee and experiencing a little pain as he stood.  Amanda then turned towards my dad and me as we approached and said, “I want you to meet my Uncle Charlie, perhaps the best uncle in the world.”  She practically beamed.  It was obvious, crazy, or not, she really loved this guy.  She, then, gesturing to my father said, “and this is Mr. Turner.”  Both my father and Charlie extended and shook hands, saying hello to each other.  Amanda then turned towards me and said, “and this is,” at which her uncle interrupted and said, “I know, this is Anna.  Very nice to see you Anna.”  I was taken aback a little by his words but knew Amanda would have told him my name when she arranged the visit. 

          My dad then responded and said, “nice to meet you Mr. Blackeagle.”

          Charlie smiled and said, “no, please, just Charlie.” 

          “Ok Charlie, my name is Dave.  Take care of the girls.” Then, looking at Amanda then me “See you girls in a few hours, be nice to Charlie and call me when you need a ride home.”

          Charlie’s home was simple, but well maintained and clean on the outside.  As I would see when I entered; though a little cluttered, it was also well kept and clean on the inside.  It was obvious Charlie like to carve, there were things he had made, all over the place.  I soon realized Charlie was the local artist the librarian had talked about, and the same artist who created the beautiful pieces of art with the written inscriptions in the Teeples’ home.  All of the artwork had the same small black bird in the bottom right-hand corner.  At that moment it dawned on me, of course, it was a Black Eagle.  I then remembered the strange small carving at Bekah’s house that looked like the old Nazi symbol.  It also had the same; though smaller, Black Eagle.  I wondered why and what the connection was; but then my mind came back to the present when I noticed more carvings on the porch and house.  There was a beautifully carved sign next to his door on the front of the house.  This one also had animals, birds, and flowers, carved into a piece of wood with the words, “If a fellow isn't thankful for what he's got, he isn't likely to be thankful for what he's going to get. ~Frank A. Clark.”  

          As Amanda and I took the last couple of steps to the door, Charlie said to us, “Go ahead and go in, I’ll be right there, I just need to put a few things away.” 

          Before we walked in, Amanda asked; “Uncle Charlie, is it ok if I show Anna your bow?” 

          “You bet, go on in; but don’t touch it, please,” replied Charlie.

          “Of course not, we won’t touch it,” responded Amanda as she ran back and gave Charlie another little kiss and a hug, and then back to me to open the door, “this is the coolest thing.  My uncle Charlie is one of the last people alive who know how to make a bow out of Big Horn Sheep horn.  He’s got one he made in his bedroom.  He’s actually hunted with it a few times, but mostly keeps it hanging up. He learned how to make it from his grandfather, or as he would say, his father’s father.”

          As we walked into the living room, I could see a number of painted wood carvings, some just with designs and some with things written on them.  All had the same small black bird in the bottom right-hand corner.  The walls were also full of photographs, mostly scenery and animals, and a few with people. 

          Amanda said, as we were walking through the living room; “Uncle Charlie sells his pictures to make some extra money.  He takes a lot of pictures and sells some.  Actually, I don’t know if he sells enough to really make any money, but it’s ok, he loves doing it.  He gets a little money from the government because of his leg and all his time in the Army.  He keeps his freezer filled with meat he has killed, cleaned, and cut himself.  He prepares hides in the back and sells some of them.  Gets his own wood for heating and carving and as you can see, lives pretty simply.  He never sells his carvings, only gives them away to people he likes.” 

          “Amanda, I heard you say something I didn’t understand to your uncle Charlie when we got here.  Was it Shoshone?“

          “Yes, I said ‘hello.’ I’m not fluent, but I can get by.  When I was young, we were really poor and lived with my grandparents and my great-grandmother.  My great-grandmother could speak English, but it was important for her that I learn Shoshone, and so she only spoke Shoshone to me and would only answer if I talked to her in Shoshone.  It was ok that I didn’t speak it very well, as long as I really tried.” 

          As we walked into the bedroom, Amanda pointed out the bow Charlie had made; but what immediately caught my eye was a photograph on an old dresser against the wall.  It was a fairly large picture of a family and I immediately knew it was the Lings.  The children looked much older than in the picture I saw at the Teeples.  Both Cara and Alan looked just a little older, but much healthier and very happy.  Cara looked like she had a full head of her own nicely cut short black hair.  Alan looked happy and healthy.  Tye looked about my age, and I have to add, absolutely gorgeous.  He was taller than his father and mother by just a little.  Mia was also very pretty with long braided black hair.  I was so stunned I could hardly speak.  This picture would have had to have been taken within the last couple years.  Staring at the picture I asked Amanda; “is this the Lings?” 

          She looked at the picture and answered, “I don’t know how it could be.  That picture has been there as long as I can remember and the kids look a lot older than Tye and Mia when they disappeared.  I’ll admit, it does look a lot like them; but it just can’t be.  I asked Uncle Charlie, who they were a couple of years ago and all he would say was; ‘very dear friends.’” 

          I knew it had to be the Lings.  Cara and Alan were not that different from other pictures I had seen at the Teeples’ and on the internet.  They looked just a little older, very happy, and very healthy.  Even Tye was easily recognizable.  I was sure I could recognize him, even if all I saw were the eyes.  I had been drawn to his picture when he was seven, but looking at him here and now, felt like he reached out of the frame and gently stroked my cheek.  I found myself leaning forward, lost in my daydream feeling a warm shimmer through my whole body as I stared at him.

           Was Amanda lying or just mistaken about how long the picture had been there?  Whatever the answer, I knew they lived past the disappearance.  Charlie had to know a lot more than he was telling people.  From that moment, I was determined to find Tye and his family.  

          When we returned to the living room, Charlie was rocking in an old wooden rocking chair that, though nice enough, I guess, looked to have been home made. 

          “Please, have a seat here on the sofa,” he said, smiling as he gestured towards the sofa, which was partially covered by some kind of very soft animal hide.  “How has your knee been Anna,” Charlie asked… to my absolute and utter astonishment. 

          I had broken my knee in soccer when I was ten.  No one here, except my parents, knew anything about it.  ‘How did he know,’ I asked myself. 

          Slowly and with some suspicion I answered, “it’s been very sore since I’ve been here.  I didn’t even know anyone noticed.” 

          Charlie smiled and said, “I’m sure it’s the cold.  It will feel better when it warms up.  Try to keep it warmer until spring. 

          Amanda told me you would like to know a little more about the Lings.  There are some things I can tell you and some I cannot.  Some things are very personal and private.   You can ask me anything you want.”  A big grin, then grew across his face, “and I’ll tell you what I want.”  Without giving me a chance to respond or ask about what he just said he then said; “I have some things to give you.”  This was way different than I expected.  Amanda had told me a couple of times, that he didn’t talk unless he knew and trusted you.  He sure wasn’t having any trouble talking now…  Whether he would tell me anything I wanted or needed to know was obviously a different question.  “First, I want to give you something I’ve carved and painted.  It’s the Morningstar.  Sometimes I like to give things to people who are special to me.  It always has a personal message for the person I give it to.  I make a little larger copy and keep it for myself and make a smaller copy, so the person I give it to can wear it if they like.  I gave Amanda the hummingbird.  You can see my copy there on the mantel above the fireplace.”  He pointed to a wood carving, with two circles, one on top of the other with a beak protruding from the circle on top pointing to the left and another beak protruding from the circle on the bottom pointing to the right.  This was carved into a larger, but still a small piece of wood with the small black bird on the bottom right.  “This symbol has special meaning to me, and I hope it has special meaning to Amanda.”  As he was saying this Amanda pulled a necklace I had not seen before, from under her shirt and showed me a small version of the hummingbird symbol with tightened lips and a tear forming from her eye, as she nodded her head.  “This Morningstar has special significance for you too Anna; but you’ll have to figure that out for yourself.  I also let Amanda discover the significance of her symbol.”  Charlie then handed me a four-pointed star with the outline in black, then white and a smaller four-pointed star inside.  I immediately noticed that there wasn’t the expected Black Eagle, but as I turned the star I found it carved and painted on the back.  A larger version was already hung just to the left of the fireplace. 

          I then noticed the same symbol I had seen in Bekah’s house, except a larger version, hanging on the same wall close to the Morningstar and Hummingbird.  Curious, I asked, pointing to the symbol, “what’s that?” 

          A grin grew rapidly across Charlie’s face. “Oh, that, it’s a Nazi swastika.”  As soon as he said that my jaw dropped, and my eyes bugged out. Then after what seemed like a very long pause, he got the biggest grin and said; “just kidding! Most people think it’s a swastika.  It’s actually a Native American symbol for whirlwind or small tornado.  It is also an ancient symbol for friendship.  Because it looks like the swastika, it is rarely used anymore.  I made it for Bobby Sekaquaptewa.  It was fitting for him.  Bobby had the impetuousness of youth.  Even worse, that you Anna.”  I still wondered how he knew things about me; but also knew I could indeed be impetuous at times.  “Bobby had a temper, but a good heart.  I never worried about Bobby hurting anyone; but I did worry about him getting people mad enough to hurt him.  He had a strong sense of justice and when he saw something, he thought was unjust, he would do whatever he could to make it right.  Sometimes even if it caused more problems.  He didn’t know when or how to let go.  Forgiveness was not one of his strong points.  I believe that with age and time, his passions would have tempered, and he would have developed better judgment; but, unfortunately, he didn’t have that opportunity.    A whirlwind stirs things up.  Sometimes it can be destructive. …  Sometimes, though, it’s good for nature to be stirred up a little.  In Bobby it was both a curse and a gift.  Bobby never really understood the difference.  He never learned to control what could have been a great gift.”

          “Would Bobby have given his Whirlwind to anyone?” I interrupted.

          “No, he had it with him always.  I saw him about a week before both he and the Lings disappeared.  He had it with him then.  He wore it much like Amanda does,” answered Charlie.

          “Did you make more than those two.” I asked.

          “No, only the two.  One for me and one for him.  The same as your Morningstar and Amanda’s Hummingbird.”  Waving his hand and pointing to a lot of symbols, and single animal or plant carvings on the walls around his living room, Charlie then said; “all of these, I have given to people who are special to me.  I keep one to remember them, and the other I give to them.  That is all I make.”  At that moment, I realized; but didn’t say anything, that the only way Carl could have Bobby’s Whirlwind would be if he had taken it from Bobby.   After pausing and looking around at the carvings on the wall, Charlie continued talking.  “For me, it’s like a photo, but even more meaningful.  The last time I saw Bobby, he was packing and getting ready to leave town to go back to Alaska.  I had taken him something I carved with his mother’s favorite poem and flowers.  It was my gift to her.   When I was there, he handed me an envelope and asked me to give it to the Logan police a week or two after he had gone.  He did not tell me what it was, just asked that I give it to the police. 

          Right after the Lings disappeared, I had some trouble with the Logan police and decided to give it to the Sheriff’s department instead.  I called and told them I had a package Bobby wanted turned over and a deputy came and got it.  I called about it a couple months later and found out it had been lost.  The deputy I had given it to didn’t work there anymore.  I didn’t really feel good about giving it to this deputy.  We had some problems a time or two before.  He had arrested me for poaching; but didn’t seem to understand I had treaty rights for hunting.  The deputy promised me he’d take good care of it and I let it go.” Shaking his head with a sorrowful look on his face, Charlie then said; “I should never have let him have it.”   I suspected the deputy had to be Carl Stuki.

          “Someone once told me Bobbie drank, is that true?” I asked. 

          With a surprised look on his face, Charlie replied with an adamant; “no! … No, Bobby never drank.  I can’t imagine why anyone would ever tell you that.  Bobby’s mother’s brother used to drink, and it got him killed.  His mother made Bobby promise to never drink and he never did.  I can say this absolutely, not just because I had never known him to drink; but also, because Bobby would have never broken a promise to his mother.”  Then pausing Charlie asked; “who told you Bobby drank?” 

          I then did something impetuous. Something I will regret the rest of my life.  I told Charlie; “Carl Stuki told me. … I was at his house and saw Bobby’’s Whirlwind there.”  I should never, ever, have told Charlie this and regretted it as soon as the words came out of my mouth.  Charlie sat up and had an unusual look on his face like a mystery had just been unfolded to him; but he didn’t say a word. 

          Hoping to change the subject and hoping Charlie would forget what I had just said, I asked; “Charlie, is the picture in your bedroom the Lings?”           

          Charlie sat back in his chair and looked up as in thought and then after a very, very long pause said; “I can tell you some things Anna; but some things, you are just going to have to figure out for yourself.  I can tell you this, the last time I saw the Lings, they were all very happy and doing very well.  I’m not trying to give you a hard time; but that’s what I can tell you.  If I tell you or help you too much, you won’t be prepared to do what you will have to do,… you won’t be what you will need to be,… and you’ll never get what you will need and want the most.  There are things your friends might be able to help you with and things you’ll have to figure out and do for yourself.”  After his cryptic and confusing words and another long pause where Charlie looked like he was again deep in thought, he continued; “there’s a movie, I recommend you watch Anna.  It’s The Earthling, with William Holden.  It’s an old movie, but I think you’ll learn something from it.  Why don’t you invite Beth and Amanda over and watch it some evening soon?

          Anna, you may find answers in some of the most surprising places and from some of the most unlikely people.”  Then after another very long pause where he just stared and looked like he had drifted into another world, Charlie continued to speak slowly, deliberately, and quietly.  “Perhaps Amanda can help you, maybe Beth and Jason too… I know you’ve met Beth and Jason because I just spoke with their grandfather.  He doesn’t live far from me.  We’ve been good friends most of our lives. … I expect you’ll have fun snowmobiling tomorrow. … By the way Amanda,” Charlie said Amanda’s name really loud because she was going to sleep and he obviously wanted her to hear this.  Then, after she was awake enough, and with a wide grin he said; “I understand Jason thinks you are “just way too cute.”  Amanda immediately sat up with her eyes bigger than usual and a very pleased look on her face.  Looking back at me, Charlie continued, “I have another gift for you Anna, a can of pepper spray,” as he reached into his pocket and handed me a small can and said; “please keep it with you at all times!  Even when you are in your home and even in your bedroom…  I’ll make you a deal.  If you promise to keep it with you, I’ll send you something that you will find very interesting.  Will you promise to keep it with you?” Charlie finished with a surprisingly stern look on his face.

          Not knowing what to think, but sensing his urgency and believing there may be reason behind the gift I answered; “yes, yes, I promise.”

           Charlie then gently patted my knee and whispered, “you are a very intelligent young lady, you are a natural leader and people will follow you; however, there is one thing that will make a crucial difference.  You must learn to think of the needs of others as much and sometimes even more than your own…  AND you must learn to love others and they will learn to follow you because they love you, not just because… they hope to get something from you.”  A nagging wave of guilt came over me because I knew exactly what he was talking about.  I had often been manipulative and used people.  I had been good at it because I could get them to want something they thought I could give them.  Sometimes it was exhausting for me.  Most of the time it really wasn’t all that satisfying either, at least not for long.  What I did not understand was how in the world he knew it was something I needed to hear.  How could he possibly know things about me that I had barely been willing to admit to myself? 

          After another pause… for a lot of thought and contemplation… and additional note taking on my part, Charlie asked; do you have any more questions Anna?”  I was practically speechless and very confused about all I had heard and seen today.  I couldn’t think of anything to ask except for “how,” and I already knew he wasn’t going to answer that question. 

          “No, no,… thank you for everything,” I answered with an almost uncharacteristic stutter.

           “Well then,” with a big grin, Charlie said; “why don’t you give Amanda there a nudge, I want to take a picture of the two of you.  I’ll go get my camera.  Call your dad for a ride and I’ll be right back.” 

          “Ok, thanks for everything” I said; as I took out the cell and called my dad to tell him it was time to come get us. 

          “It was really my pleasure Anna;” Charlie responded as he struggled to get out of his chair and walked into another room to get his camera.  I was shocked at how much time had passed; we had been sitting there for almost five hours.  Suddenly I realized how badly I had to go to the bathroom, so I gave Amanda a big nudge and called to Charlie if I could use his bathroom. 

          He said “sure,” and by this time Amanda was awake and pointing me in the right direction, she said; “be quick, I’m next.” 

          When Amanda returned, I told her, “your uncle Charlie went to get his camera.  He wants to take our picture.  By the way, I thought you said he wouldn’t talk to me.” 

          “I don’t understand it, I’ve never seen him talk like that to anyone he hasn’t known for years.  In fact, he hardly ever talks like that to anyone.” Amanda still sounded like she was half asleep; but, we chatted for quite a while until Charlie returned to the living room saying; “sorry, it took me a while to find the right one and then it needed charging so I had to charge it just a little.” He then took a few pictures of us in front of the fireplace, then returned his camera back to where he kept it. 

          After what seemed like a very short time Charlie returned and said, “Anna, I just saw your dad driving up to the house.”  Before long, my father was knocking on the door and almost immediately he and Charlie were chatting pleasantly with Charlie pointing out different symbols and figures he had created.  I could tell my dad loved every minute of it.

          Giving them time to chat, I continued to look around and finally, when it seemed like their conversation was slowing down I interrupted,  “Thank you Charlie,” then pausing, I hope that’s ok, should I call you Mr. Blackeagle?””

          Charlie, quickly responded, “no, please call me Charlie, it was a pleasure to have you… with me here.” Then turning to Amanda, he gave her a big hug which she returned and kissed his cheek.

          As we walked to the car, I turned to my dad and showed him the Morningstar Charlie had given me.  Then asked, “Dad, there’s a movie I’d like to see, can we stop at the video store and see if they can order it?”  “Sure honey,” he replied as we got into the car.  “Dad, thank you again for bringing us and coming to get us,” I added with more sincerity than I had felt in some time.  I wasn’t sure why, but something about the visit had made me appreciate my father a little more.  “You’re very welcome” was his soft reply.  The trip home was filled with conversation about the snowmobile trip, how to keep both warm and dry and even more mentions of Jason.  Every once and again, I would have a chance to add to my notes.  I would have to organize them later.  I really didn’t want to forget or miss anything that might be important.  And I really didn’t want to forget this day.  We stopped at the video store and as I expected, the movie was not there, but they were able to order it in for next Friday.  I wasn’t sure about inviting Amanda or Beth over.  I wasn’t very comfortable around Beth and still wondered if Amanda had lied to me about the picture; but it seemed more than just a casual suggestion when Charlie suggested I watch it with them.  I’d have to think about it some more.

          In-spite-of, some of the uneasiness I had felt with some of his comments and questions.  In-spite-of, the fact he was obviously hiding some things from me.   In-spite-of, the fact I wouldn’t have even spoken to him in San Francisco… for some reason, and I didn’t really know why, I really liked Charlie.

 

 

                                                                           

 

          

No comments: