Monday, January 18, 2021

Morningstar: Chapter 10: Fire

 

Chapter 10: Fire

 

          Monday morning started like any other school day.  My alarm went off, I grabbed my things and headed to the bathroom, wanting to get there before T.J.  As soon as I entered the living room, my dad, who was sitting in his chair reading the morning paper, put it down and just looked at me for what seemed like the longest time.  I remember getting a chill from his extended solemn stare.

          Finally, I asked, “dad, is there something wrong?”

          “Come sit down Anna,” he motioned to the couch next to his chair.  “I’m really sorry, I have really bad news.”  

          The tone of his voice caused my heart to sink.  “What is it dad?” I asked with dread and foreboding.

          My dad had the paper folded open, and as I sat down, he handed it to me.  I knew in an instant what had happened.  The article was titled; “Local Artist Dies in House Fire.”  I immediately felt incredible anxiety welling up inside.  My head was spinning.  My heart was pounding, and I was gasping for breath.  At the same time, I felt an enormous loss. I was angry and confused.  I knew this had to be Charlie, that is the only reason my dad would have given me this article.  Why was I so upset?  I barely knew Charlie.  I had only met him once and still, for some reason, I felt as horrible as I did when I lost my grandmother five years before.  Was it because of the movie I just watched?  I wanted to run, to scream and be alone; but, holding back the tears, I continued reading.  “Local Artist, Charlie Blackeagle died in a house fire last night.  An unnamed unofficial source said it looked like a typical chimney fire, but arson had not been ruled out.”  The rest of the article was unimportant. What was this about arson?  Was Charlie murdered?  Was I reading too much into this?  A terrible feeling of darkness enveloped me.

          As I looked up, my dad was reaching to put his hand on my shoulder, as he said softly; “I’m so sorry honey.”

          I didn’t want to be touched.  Didn’t want to be with anyone.  I threw the paper down, ran to my bedroom, slammed the door, and fell sobbing on my bed.  My mom and dad were good enough to let me have my space.  They knew, or at least one of them knew I needed to be alone. 

          After a while, my feelings started to change.  I wondered; if I was feeling this bad, what was Amanda feeling?  I stopped crying enough to call, and picking up the phone by my bed, dialed her number.  It was busy.  Of course, it was busy.  I waited a while and tried again.  Still busy.  I tried one more time and it was still busy.  I threw some clothes on and went to find my dad, who to my astonishment, was sitting in his chair with his boots on and his coat laying on the couch, like he was waiting to take me someplace. 

          “Dad, would you take me to Amanda’s?”

          “Yeah, I thought you might want to go.” 

          Surprised, I grabbed my coat and put my boots on and said, “Thanks.”

          We didn’t say a word as we drove to Amanda’s.  There were already a few extra cars when we arrived.  My dad walked up to the house, introduced himself to Amanda’s mom and dad, and told them how sorry he was.  I then introduced myself and asked if I could see Amanda. 

          Amanda’s mother, Stephanie, said; “yes, please come in.  It was good of you to come.  She’ll be glad to see you.  Do you want to come in Mr. Turner?”

          My dad just replied, “no, … no, I’d just be in the way.  I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am and drop Anna off.  I’ll come and get Anna when she calls. … I am really sorry about your loss.”

          Stephanie then put her arm around me, I really didn’t want it there but didn’t want to be rude either.  She led me into the living room where Amanda was sitting next to an older person who had her arm around Amanda as she sobbed.  As I got closer, Amanda looked up and ran to me, throwing her arms around me as I threw my arms around her and we both cried.

          I just blubbered; “I’m so, so, so, sorry,” over and over.

          Through her tears she finally looked up, and just looked at me and said, “thank you.”

          We just continued to hold each other for a while and then D’Lisa came in and hugged and cried with Amanda.  Then Beth and Jason came in.  Beth grabbed Amanda first and hugged her, then Jason reached out and hugged Amanda.  I could hear him say how sorry he was.  It was really getting crowded in the living room and we finally all went into the kitchen.  The four of us girls then hugged and cried some more.  Jason was mostly quiet and patient, sitting at the table across from Amanda, with his hand reaching across the table, holding Amanda’s hand as the rest of us talked and Jason listened. 

          Someone brought some food over, but none of us felt like eating.  By evening the family had already arranged for the funeral on Wednesday.  We hugged and cried a little more and said goodbye.  Jason took both me and D’Lisa home.  My parents were both great.  They gave me a hug, which I was ready for now, and told me how sorry they were.  They told me they understood if I didn’t want to go back to school for a few days and left me alone.  That was what I wanted, and think I needed most.  I went almost straight to bed and lay awake most of the night thinking about Charlie, my life, my grandmother, my family, and everything that had happened since moving to Logan.

          On Tuesday I would learn that an envelope had come for me while I was at Amanda’s.  I’m glad my dad didn’t tell me until Tuesday.  I don’t think I could have handled both the news about Charlie’s death and the package on the same day.

No comments: