Friday, January 1, 2021

Chapter 5: The Teeples

 

 Chapter 5: The Teeples

 

          When Amanda knocked on the door my dad was in the living room and let her in.  I could hear them introducing themselves to each other and my dad chatting with her.  My dad can go on and on.  I wanted to rescue her and get out the door as quick as possible, so I grabbed my things and her and said bye to my dad as we made our escape.  I thought it would be too obvious to take a note pad with me, but I put a small recorder in my pocket so I could get a good recording of our visit. 

          We walked the three and a half blocks as we talked, actually it was mostly me asking questions about school and some of the kids I’d met. 

          We arrived right on time at the Teeples.  Their home is an older nicely kept brick house with a steep roof and windows sticking out of the roof.  There was still a lot of snow around the house with icicles hanging from the roof and crystalline formations on the trees.  It was a cold day, but their house kind of had a picture postcard/Christmas look.  The front door had its own little roof slanting steeply to each side and there was a wooden sign next to the door with “The Teeples” carved and painted in big letters.  The door had a black, almost round metal knocker on the front.  As we got to the door Amanda reached for the knocker and gave it three good hard taps against a thick piece of metal. 

          Within about a minute, the door opened and Beth stood beaming with more cheer than I could ever display this early in the morning.  “Come on in.  I’ll take your coats.”  Just inside the door and on the right side was a closet space with coats and boots.  Beth was wearing black sweatpants with UTAH written sideways down the right leg.  She had a plain V neck, white, long sleeve top, with her hair pulled back into a ponytail.  Both Amanda and I took our coats off as Beth handed us each a hanger.  After we placed our coats on the hangers Beth took them and hung them in the closet while asking; “how was the walk?  It’s pretty cold for this time of year.  Did you freeze?” 

          We both responded with “no, we’re fine” and “it was a nice walk,” almost in unison, though I was thinking to myself how cold it was and wondering, as I had many times before, how anyone could live in this frozen wilderness.  I couldn’t wait to move back some place warmer.  Yes, I used to think it got cold in San Francisco, but nothing like this.

          After our coats were put in the closet, Amanda asked; “should we take our boots off?” 

          Beth looked down at her own feet and answered with a big grin; “Oh, both my mom and I like to go around with bare feet as much as we can. You can leave your boots on or off, it’s up to you.”  Amanda then reached down and took her boots off and placed them in the closet.  She had pink socks on with what looked like little red bears.  I didn’t really want to take my boots off but didn’t want to be the only one with them on.  So… I took mine off and placed them next to Amanda’s in the closet.  

          Beth walking into what turned out to be the living room, then said; “we’ll talk in the family room.  My mom’s already there and my brother Jason will be downstairs in a few minutes.  My dad’s outside working in his shop.  Jason will get our dad as soon as he gets down.  My little brothers are both at a friend’s house so we can talk without them bothering us.”  Beth, kind of giving us a tour said; “this is the living room.”  Then pointing to a large picture over a brick fireplace, “and that’s our family.  We just took it last Christmas.” 

          I was immediately struck by how exceptionally beautiful Beth’s mom was.  She had long, thick, red hair, cut about three inches below her shoulders.  Right then I thought to myself, ‘perhaps there’s hope for Beth after all.’  I took a glance around the room and saw a rectangular piece of wood, carved and decorated with flowers that looked like red hearts, with the words, “LOVE IS SPOKEN HERE.”  Towards the bottom right corner was a small black bird of some sort.  I also noticed what appeared to be a very old grandfather clock, a picture of Jesus sitting with two children and a framed piece of cloth with the word “Family” embroidered with small pink and red flowers. 

          It seemed like old family pictures were everywhere, some must have been grandparents, great-grand-parents and perhaps even older.  The floor was wood, not the fake stuff, but the real thing, and it looked like it could be the original.  It was waxed and smooth with some gashes and chips filled in here and there, but absolutely beautiful.  There were some oval shaped maroon throw rugs with a couch and love seat, and a couple of older recovered stuffed chairs to match.  Beth then pointed, “and this is the kitchen” as we continued to walk through the house.  The kitchen looked a little larger than usual and very well supplied with all kinds of gadgets and things, most of which I didn’t recognize.  Pointing to the left, Beth explained, “and those are the stairs up to all of us kid’s bedrooms.  Mine and Jason’s are in front.  The twins, Thomas and Mark are both in the back.  Each of us has a dormer.” 

          “What’s a dormer?”  I asked. 

          “Oh, those are the windows sticking out of the roof.  You probably saw Jason’s and mine from the front of the house.”  Walking into the next room Beth continued, “and this is the family room.”  This room had a thick blue, low pile carpet with two very comfortable looking couches to the right, and a wood stove with a glass front in the corner.  The stove had a bright fire inside with hues of reds, yellows, and blues emanating serenely from within.  A fan gently blew warming air from the bottom of the stove.

The part of the family room with the couches and stove was sunken about a foot lower than the rest of the room.  There was a wooden railing along the edge, with the exception of a space, about two yards wide, where there were stairs between the upper and sunken parts of the family room.  To the left was a large table with a sewing machine and cloth, and a pattern spread over the entire table.  Beth’s mom, who I easily recognized from the picture in the living room, was sitting at the table immersed in something she was doing, singing to music in the background.  “It’s what you give that makes you beautiful, it’s how you live that makes your dreams come true.” 

          “Mom!” Beth called out, then a little louder “Mom!!” Beth’s mom looked up with a big smile as she turned the sound of the music down.  Looking and gesturing towards Amanda and then myself, Beth then said; “Mom, this is Amanda and this is Anna.”  And then looking at her mom and giving another quick gesture with her hand, “and this is my mom, Sarah.” 

          Amanda and I both smiled and said “hi” with my adding; “That was beautiful, you have a beautiful voice, what were you singing?” 

          “Thank you very much” Sarah responded with a huge smile and taking the CD out of a small player on the table next to her, “The CD is He Gives Flowers To Everyone by Cheri Call.  I don’t remember the name of the song.  Why don’t you girls have a seat.  I’ll be with you in just a couple of minutes after I finish something here,” as she put the CD back in the player and turned the volume down.  I could still just barely hear the music and words.  The music was very pretty; however, I liked Beth’s mom’s voice even better than the artist.  As we turned towards the couches, I noticed a painting, which I assumed was painted by a local artist, or perhaps even someone in the family.  It was kind of pretty but looked a little amateurish.  The painting was of a meadow with mountains.  I recognized the mountains as some close to Logan.   There was also a large three sectioned mirror, lightly decorated with bamboo on the wall behind the couches.  I also recognized a framed photograph of a large building on a small hill not far from where I lived.  My dad had told me it was some kind of church.  I thought about the living room, kitchen, and family room and thought to myself, ‘this is a bit much, a little too sweet, and surreal for my taste. This must be “molly.”

          When we got to the couches, Beth looked at both Amanda and me, still smiling, (I was starting to wonder if she had any other facial expressions,) and gesturing towards the couch on the right, said; “have a seat.”

          As we were sitting down, I heard someone running down the stairs and Beth’s older brother stepped just inside the family room.  Looking at me and Amanda, he said; “Hi girls, I’ll be right back” and then looking at Beth added; “I’ll go get dad,” as he slipped back into the kitchen.  Jason had short red hair, light freckles like his sister, and was about the same height.  I thought he was pretty ordinary looking, not great, not ugly.  A lot like Beth.  He was wearing old, faded jeans, not designer, but faded from work.  He also had on a button up blue shirt with white socks, not the best color for him. 

          Right after her brother left, Beth whispered to me and Amanda; “I’m going to go help my mom finish up, if I don’t she’ll be there, with her mind lost in her project, for another hour and forget we’re waiting.”  I wondered if this could possibly be the home of someone guilty of murder, but then stranger things had happened, and I hadn’t met Max Teeples yet.

          As Beth walked off, Amanda nudged me and whispered, “isn’t he cute!?”

          A little startled I asked; “Who??”

          Amanda responded emphatically; “Jason! Silly.” 

          “Oh… oh, I guess,” I replied, but not really thinking about it.  The sound of the music in the background was comforting and even vaguely familiar at times.  My feelings at this time were extremely conflicted.  I had decided I really didn’t like the Teeples even before I got to their home.  All of this seemed so phony on the one hand, but comfortable… at the same time.  This was not at all what I expected.  Maybe that was part of the problem, I had walked into the home with certain negative expectations.  If I was going to be a good investigator, I needed to let go of expectation and be open to the possibilities.  “Get all the facts first’ I thought to myself.  I wasn’t going to get sucked into eliminating or including any suspect just yet. 

          After just a few minutes Jason returned, stepping into the family room with his dad, this time Jason was wearing tall leather boots with a few flakes of snow still clinging to his boots and pants.  He also had on a large black duster which went down past his knees.

          “I’ll be right back,” he hollered, before disappearing back into the kitchen.  I could hear the sound of a door closing in the background.  Mr. Teeples then stepped into the family room.  His hair was black and graying.  He was a couple of inches shorter than Jason.  Mr. Teeples was a very ordinary looking man who looked like he had worked very hard all his life.  He was wearing old coveralls and had grease on his hands and clothing. 

          “It’ll take me a few minutes to change and clean up, I’ll be right back,” he hollered, just loud enough so everyone could hear as he too disappeared back into the kitchen.  Just as he was leaving, I noticed the light on the sewing machine switch off and Beth’s mom stand up.  Standing next to Beth she was just about an inch shorter, and like her daughter had a very healthy athletic build.  Sarah was wearing emerald green sweatpants that went perfect with her hair.  She also had on a plain white v necked short- sleeve shirt.  Both items looked like they probably came from either Wal-Mart or K-Mart but still she looked very good, and comfortable.  As she walked around the table, I noticed hot pink toenail polish on her toes.  She impressed me as a woman who is not only comfortable, but comfortable with herself.

          Sarah had the most pleasant smile, as she walked across the room to us, and sat down on the other couch facing me and Amanda.  Beth, following her mother, then sat down next to me. 

          Sarah began the conversation by saying; “Well girls, I’m glad you could come over.”  She then asked both of us about our families.  She knew Amanda’s Uncle Charlie and had met her parents but didn’t really know them.  She asked questions about what we liked to do and what we wanted to do with our lives.  She had such a gentle and easy way it just seemed natural to tell her things I didn’t usually talk about.  I was surprised at how easily Amanda talked to her and even more surprised at some of the things I learned about Amanda.  After asking us questions for a while, Sarah said: “My husband should be here soon, and I don’t know what happened to…”  Just then Jason walked back into the family room.  Sarah must have noticed him in the mirror and as she turned towards him and said, “just a minute Jason” then turning back towards Amanda and me asked, “would you girls like anything?  Milk, juice, hot chocolate, cookies?” 

          Amanda hesitated, then said; “some hot chocolate would be nice, if it’s not too much trouble” then turning to me, “and you Anna?”” 

          Thinking that since Amanda was having some, I added; “sure, some hot chocolate, thank you.”  Sarah then asked; “Beth?” 

          Beth looked like she was thinking then replied; “Yes, hot chocolate please.” 

          Sarah turning back towards Jason then said; “Jason, please check with your dad and bring all of us hot chocolate.”  Jason immediately turned around and retreated back into the kitchen.

          Sarah turning back towards the three of us then continued, looking at me; “So Anna, I understand you live in the Ling’s old house.  We sure miss them.  I think about them almost every day and wonder what in the world could have happened.  It was just not like them to go anyplace without telling us, and she was so sick.”  This was the first I had heard anything about anyone being sick. 

          “Sick?”  I asked. 

          “Oh yes, Cara was ill for about a year and a half, but terribly ill for about the last six months.  They were very private and didn’t want many others to know she had a very rare and serious form of cancer.  All of the treatments had failed.  They had been all over the place trying to find a cure, the University of Utah, the Mayo Clinic, Mexico, Europe.  Sometimes they would take the children, but most of the time the children would stay with us.  Tye was just about three months older than Jason and Mia just one month younger than Beth.  They were best of friends.  Tye was also found to have a small tumor, but fortunately it wasn’t malignant.” 

          Just about then, Jason came back into the room carrying an oval wooden tray with cups of hot chocolate.  Amanda immediately sat up a little and almost beamed.  I thought it a little funny and had to keep myself from laughing when I noticed how she was acting.  Setting a coaster on the coffee table in front of everyone, and one for himself and his dad, and then a cup of hot chocolate for everyone, he then sat down next to his mom. 

          Mrs. Teeples and then the rest of us each thanked him for making and bringing us the chocolate. 

          Beth then jumped in, “Oh, I guess you guys haven’t been introduced.  Motioning towards Jason with her hand and looking at him she continued; “This is my brother Jason” and then looking at and gesturing towards Amanda and then me, “and this is Amanda and Anna.”

          Amanda jumped in with what seemed to me, a slightly overly enthusiastic “hi,’’ followed by an almost embarrassed look from Amanda, then a more reserved “hi” from me. 

          I then returned my attention to Sarah “please tell us more Mrs. Teeples.”

          Looking up for a moment like she was deep in thought, Sarah then continued… “where was I?”  Then, looking back at us…” Oh yes, Jason and Tye were very close, they were both seven when the Lings disappeared.  Beth and Mia were also very close but only five when they last saw each other.”  Then, looking at Beth she asked; “Honey, do you remember much about Mia?” 

          “Not really, I remember what she looked like, but that could be from the pictures as much as my memory,” answered Beth. 

          “Oh, that reminds me,” Sarah interrupted and looking at Amanda and me, “we were going to show you girls the picture album with the Lings.  Beth, please get it, it’s in the top right drawer of the desk.”  Beth got up and walked over to an old metal desk to the left of us but just a few feet from the couches.  She started pulling photo albums out and placing them on the desk until she found the one, she was looking for. 

          Above the desk, I noticed a framed poem and read,

Learn to like what doesn't cost much…
Learn to like reading, conversation, music.
Learn to like plain food, plain service, plain cooking.

Learn to like fields, trees, brooks, hiking, rowing, climbing hills.
Learn to like people, even though some of them may be… different from you.
Learn to like to work and enjoy the satisfaction of doing your job as well as it can be done.
Learn to like the songs of birds, the companionship of dogs..
Learn to like gardening, puttering around the house and fixing things.
Learn to like the sunrise and sunset, the beating of rain on the roof and windows, and the gentle fall of snow on a winter's day.
Learn to keep your wants simple and refuse to be controlled by the likes and dislikes of others.
Lowell L. Bennion” (I remembered enough that I was able to search it and write it down from the internet after our visit.  It was not easy to find.)

          I thought this very appropriate for the Teeples family, in spite of Sarah’s beauty, they were quite simple. 

          Just as Beth retrieved the album and turned to return to her seat, Mr. Teeples came into the family room in jeans, a green button up shirt and thick white socks, followed by a very shaggy dog that didn’t look like any particular breed of dog, just shaggy.  I thought to myself, ‘of course, they have a dog!’ 

          “I’m sorry it took me so long,” said Mr. Teeples, “it took longer to get rid of the grease than I thought it would, and I had to get my clothes in the washer or risk the wrath of mom.” 

          He winked and smiled widely at his wife as she returned more of a slightly annoyed grin, followed by; “thank you Max.” 

          Mr. Teeples continued, “Hi girls, I’m Max” and with a broad smile reaching his hand out to Amanda, “And you must be Amanda, I recognize you from a picture at your uncle Charlie’s, and by process of elimination, you must be Anna.”  We both responded with a “hi” and shook hands.  Sitting down, Mr. Teeples continued, looking at the big hairy dog “and this is Harry.”  I again thought to myself, ‘of course.’  “Oh, thank you for the hot chocolate Jason” continued Mr. Teeples as he began to drink.  Everyone else had either been waiting for Max or had just forgotten because we all began to drink our hot chocolate, it was still warm enough but not so hot.  Just perfect for me. 

          Sarah then continued, picking up the album and going to the back, “this was the last picture our families took together.  It was taken around Christmas right before they disappeared.”  I easily recognized the Lings from newspaper pictures.  Tye and Jason were standing side by side with their arms over each other’s shoulder.  There were two babies in the picture.  One being held by Sarah and the other by Max.  Beth and Mia were sitting close to each other with their legs crossed and their arms entwined.  Sarah looked the same as she does now.  Max looked quite a bit younger, no gray hair, and a little thinner.  Cara Ling did look very sick and had either dyed her hair pink or was wearing a pink wig.  Alan Ling looked anxious and very tired.  “Cara had lost all her hair and was wearing a wig.  Even when she was extremely ill, she still had a great sense of humor and sometimes wore the most ridiculous wigs.  Alan would grin and say it was one of her eccentricities.  She just liked to have fun and if she could make people laugh, it made her happy and sometimes she just liked the shocked look people would give her when she wore something really-outrageous like a blond, pink, or purple wig.  I think it was partially her way of maintaining some control in a situation where she had very little control.  Alan wasn’t getting much sleep.  It was a very difficult time for them.  They really tried to shelter how bad things were, from the children; but, Tye knew his mom was sick and his father was very worried about everything.”  Sarah began showing other pictures of the two families together from about the time Beth and Mia were babies.  It really hit me how cute Tye was even as a little boy.  Probably the cutest I’d ever seen, and I wondered what he would look like if he were still alive today. 

          Sarah, then looked at Jason and asked, “Do you want to tell some of the things you remember about Tye and the Lings?” 

          “I remember Mr. and Mrs. Ling a little.  Mrs. Ling was very funny.  She wanted everything ‘just so’ and sometimes Mr. Ling would get sort of frustrated.  Mr. Ling loved to play jokes, but Mrs. Ling was really the funny one.  He would play jokes, but then act deadly serious.  Like he had no idea what happened or what anyone was talking about. My dad loves to play jokes too, and the way you could tell if it was Alan was by how serious he acted and how much he denied.  The more serious and the more he denied, the more you knew it was Alan.  He would always admit it was him in the end.  He told me he once broke into Cara's apartment when they were dating and took all of her and her roommates’ underwear, soaked it in water and stuck it in the freezer.  About three months later he admitted he had done it.  She stopped dating him for about a month after that... Obviously, she forgave him.”

          Sarah looked shocked and exclaimed; "I didn't know that. You'd better not do anything like that when you go to college young man."

          Jason looked like he may have divulged something he shouldn't have and then continued; “You could tell they really loved each other, but sometimes when she wasn’t around he would smile and say: she’s a little eccentric, she’s a Brit you know.  Alan played jokes and Cara liked to tell them.  People didn’t always get her humor, but then again, Alan would just grin and say, she’s a Brit.”

          Tye was really fun to be around.  He laughed a lot, loved soccer and was very smart.  We went through kindergarten and first grade together and then halfway through second grade.  Everything was easy for him.  He and his sister spent the night over here or we were over there almost every weekend.  After his mom got really sick, they spent more time here with us.  I didn’t even know Tye had the possibility of getting what his mom had until my mom told me a couple of years ago, and I guess it wasn’t until then that I understood how sick she really was.” 

          Jason then hesitated and Sarah continued speaking; “Cara Ling stopped teaching, but Alan continued to teach.  They needed the money and the insurance.  Alan would take Cara to specialists, but after school started again, I would watch the children and Max would take her to clinics and specialists when Alan couldn’t.  I should have gone too, or instead of Max; but, I had just had the twins and it seemed pretty innocent at the time.”  With a big sigh and a sullen face, speaking more quietly, she continued; “but after they disappeared some people started talking and saying terrible things about Max.  Some people were even saying they were having an affair.  I loved Cara so much and I’m the one who asked Max to take her to these places.  It really hurt Max and his parents as well as the rest of the family.  He was even accused of killing Alan and taking Cara away, moving her and the kids to another city, and planning to join them after things quieted down.  One of the deputies really pushed this accusation and harassed Max.  They had disagreements over things for a couple years.  Max is pretty active in the community and sometimes that puts him at odds with people who have different views.  This might have been part of the reason this deputy seemed to hate Max so much.  He’s not with the Sheriff’s department anymore, but works with some environmental group now.  He was so hurtful to all of us, it made me so mad.” 

          Max interrupted, bringing the subject back more directly to the Lings and their disappearance, “Cara was very… very sick when they disappeared.  Law Enforcement was able to verify this in their investigation.  Most doctors had only given her three or four months to live from the time of their disappearance.  I was picking Cara and the kids up so that Sarah could watch the kids and I could take Care down to the University Hospital.  A couple of times she spent the night for tests or treatments and then I’d stay in a motel and bring her back the next day.  I’m the one who discovered them missing.  I guess that put more suspicion on me.  I really don’t blame people for believing I was involved somehow.  They were just doing their job.  Then when they found fresh blood that matched Alan’s in the den, I was beginning to be really scared, mostly about what might have happened.  The blood was a few days old when I called the police to report them missing.  I had been out of town for about a week.  Someone else’s blood was also found, but they were never able to match it with anyone and it was a different type than mine or any of the Lings. 

          My story checked out and I was dropped as a suspect.  About the same time the Lings disappeared, another friend of ours, Bobby Sekaquaptewa, disappeared.  He had just graduated from the university.  There was a lot said to discredit him as unreliable and a troublemaker.  He was moving back to Alaska to be with his mom who had taken ill.  Bobby had loaded all his belongings in his car and left town, but never showed up in Alaska.  A missing person’s report was filed, but to my knowledge, there was never any real investigation.  He had taken classes from both Lings and they had become very close.  Bobby was very involved with some of the research they were doing.  He was hoping to go to graduate school in Alaska.  He was a really good kid.  Bobby was passionate about some things that were important to him, and he did have a temper but would never have hurt anybody.  The things some people said about him just weren’t fair and they weren’t true.  We stayed in touch with his mom for about five years and then about five years ago, we found out she passed away.  I think his disappearance ultimately killed her.  He was her only child and she just became so depressed after he disappeared.  Sarah and I always thought the disappearances of the Lings and Bobby were connected; but we have no idea why anyone would have harmed any of them.” 

          After a pause, Max, looking at both Amanda and Anna, “I can tell you more personal things, but I can’t think of anything that might have bearing on their disappearance or the old investigation. Do either of you have any questions?” 

          Both Amanda and I shook our heads ‘no’ and said, “thank you.” 

          Max then stood and in a very gentle way said, “you’re welcome… please feel welcome here any time.  I need to get back to work in my shop. …… Have a good day.”  As he turned to leave, followed by Harry, Sarah looked again at the picture album and turned the pages showing us the rest of the photos.  She told us about activities their families had done together over the five years they had known each other. 

          I then looked at Sarah and asked; “how did you guys meet?” 

          “Well, I decided to go back to school and finish my degree right after I had Beth.  I took a class from Cara.  Both she and Alan helped me a lot.  I don’t know if I would have finished without them.  “We lived close, had children the same age,” and Sarah added with a broad smile; “we were both cursed with husbands who liked to play jokes.  It was just natural that we became the best of friends.”

          Sarah, getting up and with a very warm and sincere smile added; “seriously, please come any time.  We love having our kid’s friends in our home.”  I felt a little guilty thinking I wasn’t Beth’s friend and didn’t really want to be.  Sarah then turning said; “And, I’ve really got to get back to my project” and returned to the table. 

          After Sarah left, Beth moved herself to the other couch with Jason and asked “Anna, how do you like it here?” 

          A little startled I responded, “it’s ok; but so different from San Francisco, and a lot colder.”  “I bet” added Beth, we have cousins in Reno and have been over into California.  Our mom’s sister lives in Reno with her family.  It’s big, and the places we’ve been in California are big, but I know San Francisco is way bigger.”  I was surprised that Beth knew anything about anything outside of Utah and maybe Idaho just to the north. 

          I then stood up and said, “well, I’d probably better get home.  I’ve got homework and need to help my dad with one of his projects on the house.”  I forced a smile and said, “thank you for everything,” and looked at Amanda to see if she was coming. 

          As Amanda was getting out of the couch, Jason blurted out; “hey, next Saturday Beth and I are going with our grandpa up to his cabin.  He has some things he needs to do and we were going to take the snowmobiles out.  There are some great trails up there for snowmobiling.  Do you two want to come?” 

          Amanda quickly and all too enthusiastically responded; “We’d love to!!”  then looked at me with big pleading eyes. 

          I felt somewhat put out, but said, “I’ll have to check with my parents.  I’ll let Beth know on Monday.”

          Both Jason and Amanda almost simultaneously said “Great!”  Beth then walked me and Amanda back to the kitchen, I noticed as we were leaving the family room another plaque that said: “No other success can compensate for failure in the home. David O McKay.” This one was also decorated with carved and painted flowers and the same small black bird in the corner.  We continued back through the kitchen and I noticed even more gadgets, and then on to the front door where Beth grabbed our coats as Amanda and I put on our boots. 

          “Thanks for coming.”  Beth said warmly.

          This was followed by a cheerful; “Thank you” from Amanda and a courteous; “thank you for your time,… please thank your parents, and thanks again for the hot chocolate” from me as we went out the door.  I really didn’t want to go snowmobiling with Jason and Beth or go to the cabin.  Their grandfather was probably even more odd than they were; but I couldn’t risk alienating Amanda, after all she still had to take me to meet “Uncle Charlie.”  I then remembered we had Friday off from school.  Some kind of teacher training day.  Perhaps I could go see Charlie on Friday with Amanda, then come up with an excuse why I couldn’t go Saturday.  I thought about lying and just telling Beth and Amanda I couldn’t go, but there was too much risk, and my plans could be ruined if I got caught.  I decided the best idea was to first get permission, and then find a good excuse of why I couldn’t go.  That should be easy, my dad was always needing help around the house and the house sure needed lots of help.

          We were pretty quiet as we walked back to my house with the exception of a few comments from Amanda about how nice the Teeples were and how cute Jason was and how much she hoped I could go. When we reached my house, Amanda with a hopeful look at me asked; “can you ask now?” 

          I knew my mom was doing some work at the university, but I could ask my dad and even thought he might say ‘no,’ which would give me the perfect “out.”  When we walked in, my dad was sitting in the living room looking at some plans he had drawn to remodel the kitchen.  TJ was nowhere to be seen. 

          Before I could say anything Amanda enthusiastically blurted out, “Beth and Jason, that’s Beth’s older brother, invited me and Anna to go with their grandfather to their cabin next Saturday and go snowmobiling, can Anna go?!” 

          My dad then looked at me and asked, “do you want to go Anna?” 

          Feeling quite perturbed, and with some hesitation I answered, “sure.”  My dad continued,   “Well I’ll have to speak with Beth’s grandfather and get some details but I’m sure that will be ok.” “Great!” said Amanda, “I’ll make sure Beth has your phone number and ask her to give it to her grandfather and have him call you.”  I realized that hadn’t turned out quite like I hoped and figured that my mom might have been more in tune and known that I really didn’t want to go…but that was my life these days.     

          Turning towards the door Amanda added “bye Anna, see you Monday.  Thank you, Mr. Turner, nice to see you again.”  As Amanda walked out the door, I refocused on my mission and caught up with her just outside the door. 

          “Hey, do you think I can meet your uncle Charlie, Friday?  We don’t have school that day.” 

          Amanda, tilting her head for a moment as she thought, “Yes, I think that will be ok, if your dad can take us.  He lives a few miles outside of Hyrum, which is just south of here.  I’ll check; but I think it will be fine.  Remember what I told you though, he doesn’t talk very much to people he doesn’t know really well.  I’ll check; but I’m sure we can visit him on Friday.” 

          “That’s Great!  I’ll talk with my dad about taking us.  See you on Monday.”  as I reentered the house and closed the door I was deep in thought.  How was I going to explain to my dad why I wanted a ride to Amanda’s great uncle’s house, but with a little knot of guilt and a lot of confidence, thought, I’ll figure it out.


 

 

No comments: