Monday, November 30, 2020

Morningstar Chapter 2: The Distraction

 

Chapter 2: The Distraction

 

 

          When I started, this was just a distraction. An investigation into something that occurred ten years ago. Something that would amuse me and help pass the time in my mountain prison until I was old enough to return to the home and friends I left behind. I had no idea my actions could have such horrible consequences.  Frankly, I hardly ever thought about the consequences of anything I did, except for how it might impact me personally, and I didn’t always even think through that very well. The next morning, I still hated everything about my life and everything here; but, now at least, I had a purpose.  I would find out everything I could about the Ling family. I would have to get to know people who knew them and people who might know something about their disappearance.  I was always good at getting what I wanted out of people and I figured these people would be no different, probably easier.  I intended to find out why there were so many contradictions between the newspaper stories and what some people had told me.  If there was a murder, and that seemed the only logical conclusion, I would find out who it was and why they did it.  This might even help me get a scholarship into a good school back in California.  I sure didn’t want to stay in Logan past high school (and wished I didn’t have to be here at all). I would be 18 and I wanted out-of-here.


          Starting with my second day at school and until I had everything I wanted from people, I would need to make a better impression. That morning I showered and put on my very hot Citizen jeans.  I have only two good pair of jeans that still fit.  The other pair were some super distressed Luckys and it was way too cold for them.  My Citizens were just a little out of style, but no one around here would know.  I had thought a lot about the look I needed.  Later I might have to wear something different to make the right impression, but on this day, I decided on my Dolce & Gabbana shirt, curled my hair, put on just the right amount of makeup and added just a touch of the right fragrance.  When I went to the kitchen both my mom and dad looked amazed. 

          T.J., looking up from his oatmeal said, way too loudly; “wow, you look GREAT Anna!” While spitting out his words, he also managed to spit some of his oatmeal out at me, only missing me by about six inches,

          ““THANKS for spitting on me” I replied with a frown so that mom and dad would only hear the first word. I didn’t really notice, but he probably started pouting like he so often does.

          Almost in unison, both my parents said; “yes, you look great dear!”

          “Thank you, ” I answered again. I guess it had been a while since I really cared what I looked like. “Mom, would you please take me to the university library sometime soon?”

          “Sure, dear” my mom responded with some surprise.

          Gesturing for me to come into the next room, my dad said; “Anna, I made some calls last night and this morning. I really didn’t know anything about this, but apparently the family that lived here did just disappear. Some people thought it was a murder but there was no hard evidence. After a few years, the estate put the house up for sale but by that time it had run down so much no one wanted it.  With the economic problems the price was dropped really low, which is why we were able to afford it. I’m sorry if it bothers you.”

          “No, not really, ” I replied with a big smile.

          My dad looked surprised by my response and with a slight stammer asked; “b-but yesterday?”

          “Oh, no, I’m fine now, just caught a little off guard,” I cut my dad off before he could go on and on… he could really go on sometimes.  I had the information I needed and didn't want to waste any time. After breakfast I helped T.J. get ready and into the car. After all, I reasoned, I was in a hurry and wanted to get to school early to talk with some of the other people in school and find out if they knew anything, or if they knew who might know something.
          As soon as I was at school, I walked about as fast as I could to my locker and smiled and said: “hi” to just about everyone I saw.  I had no idea who might know or have something I needed.  After taking care of my books and coat, I headed for my first class hoping to speak with Mrs. Young and the two girls who asked me about the house the day before. As soon as I entered the room, I greeted Mrs. Young as pleasantly as I knew how. “Good morning Mrs. Young, how are you doing today?”

          “I’m very well, thank you Anna” she replied.

          I think I actually felt a little nauseous talking like this, but followed by asking; “Mrs. Young, how long have you lived here in Logan?”

          “About twelve years, why do you ask?”  

          “Oh, I’d like to get to know a little more about the area and the people who live here. Where did you go to school?”

          “Right here, but I grew up in Wyoming, moved here for college and just fell in love with the place, and someone who lived here.  It’s really beautiful, fall, winter, spring, and summer, there’s a beautiful lake close by and I love to ski.” Mrs. Young went on.  Most of this wasn’t anything I was interested in but the part about going to the university pricked my interest.

          “Did you know Dr. Cara or Alan Ling?” I asked, wondering if I had been too quick to ask the question.

          Looking a little surprised, Mrs. Young responded, “so you’ve heard about the Lings? … I didn’t know Dr. Cara Ling but I had a class from Dr. Alan Ling my sophomore year. I really enjoyed him; he was one of the most enthusiastic teachers I ever had.  I was very sad… really upset, when the family disappeared.  A lot of students from the university helped the community search the area.  The Lings liked to hike, but it would have been unusual for them to have gone into the mountains in the winter.  We searched there anyway.  What happened to them still really nags at me sometimes, and a lot of my friends.  Sometimes we talk and speculate, but that’s all it is, speculation.  No one really knows what happened, or at least no one that’s talking.  Are you concerned about living in their old home?”

          “Oh… it was a shock at first, but I’m ok now. I’d like to know more about them.”

          About then, the room started filling with other students. The two girls that I wanted to talk with didn’t come in until right before the bell so I would have to wait for another chance.
          Class seemed to go really slow that day. We were studying chemistry, one of my favorite subjects, I found myself having to take a lot of notes because there were lots of things Mrs. Young was talking about that I was unfamiliar with. That was ok because since I wanted to be a forensic scientist all of this would be helpful.  As soon as the bell rang I had already put everything in my bag, and almost running, caught up with the two girls who had asked me about the house yesterday.

          “I’m sorry,” I said, almost out of breath, “I know I heard it yesterday but I’ve forgotten your names. Could you please tell me again?”

          Both girls smiled, one said: “I’m Amanda” and the other quickly chimed in, “I’m Bekah.” Bekah really looked like a cowboy, or in this case a cowgirl.  She had the boots, Lucky bootleg jeans and a western Lucky shirt, long blonde hair with a perfect mix of multiple colored highlights, in a ponytail of course, sparkly blue eyes, a small nose with a slight almost upturn.  Her figure was thin, but not too thin, and an almost enchanting smile.  She was an obvious flirt, as she checked out a few boys and flirtatiously said “hi…” and their name as they walked by. Most responded with a smile and said “hi! Bekah.” A bunch of girls said “hi” to her too; but she rarely responded.  Amanda had thick long black hair, distinct small Roman nose, broad smile, full lips, and noticeable cheekbones.  She was strikingly beautiful and as my mom would say, a little more ‘busty’ than either Bekah or me.  Amanda seemed quieter than Bekah, and many other kids, both boys and girls, said “hi” to her, but she mostly just smiled in return.

          “Good to meet you,” I responded. “I think we have the same lunch, could I sit with you today?”

          “Sure” answered Bekah, “We’ll sit by the outside door, right Amanda!? See you at 11:30.”

          “Great, ” I responded with just the right amount of enthusiasm, “See you then.”
          The rest of the morning went quickly, I met and talked with a lot of other people but didn’t bring up the Lings.

          One kind-of good-looking guy, nicely dressed, about 5’7”, in a layered sweater and jeans, and with short brown hair and glasses introduced himself; “I’m Tom, you’re the new Granola,… Anna, right?”

          I had absolutely no idea what a Granola was or if it was good or bad, so just answered; “Hi, I’m Anna.” 

          “Thought so, welcome to Logan, see ya around;” he said, as he smiled and walked off.  This was just one example of unfamiliar vocabulary, there were lots.  I hoped I didn’t have to learn a new language while I was here!  

          For now, I would start with Bekah and Amanda and find out who else I needed to know.  I was going to do everything I could, to get in good with my teachers and anyone else I might need without being too obvious. I may not be the prettiest girl around; but I had adorable hair and I was cute enough.  I was also very smart and had lots of personality.  I did have some physical attributes including a super cute haircut from just before we left San Francisco.  It was a Christmas present from one of my aunts who felt sorry for me.  My short brown hair was perfect with dark red highlights.  Having money used to help me get what I wanted; but I was absolutely confident in my eventual success even without it.  There wasn’t anyone I thought I might really like here, except maybe Bekah, who in-spite of the whole “western” look, seemed like she might be kind-of cool.
          I had gym class right before lunch on Wednesdays, as far as I was concerned, a lousy schedule, and I had to hurry as quickly as I could to look even half way decent and get to lunch, I even decided to skip the food and go right to the table where Bekah and Amanda were already sitting.  Amanda waived and said, “Hi Anna, we were looking for you” then Bekah said “hi” and smiled.

          “Thanks for letting me sit with you” I responded. It seemed like every time I talked to them today, I was out of breath. “Yesterday you both asked me about the Ling house. That was the first I’d heard of the Lings or their disappearance.  Last night I went home and looked them up on the internet.  I found some things in the Herald and the University Press; I think that’s what the papers were called.  I even found some information in the Tribune and Deseret News.  I learned a little, but there really wasn’t much.  My dad hadn’t heard about them either. What do you think happened?”

          Bekah jumped in first; “I think they were murdered.  All four of them. There is just no way a family just disappears and then… nothing!  Some kids think they were spies or smugglers or something like that because they traveled a lot the year before they disappeared.  I think that’s just stupid.  Why in the world would any spy or smuggler live in Logan?” Then pausing and talking a little slower and more quietly, Bekah continued; “unless they were hiding from something.”  She then talked faster and looking straight at me said with emphasis; “I heard the police found a lot of blood in the den but that fact never made it into the newspaper. Some of the blood, even matched Alan Ling’s DNA. There was blood from someone else, but it was never matched.  My mom is one of the dispatchers here and her boyfriend used to be in the sheriff’s department and that’s what they both told me.  A lot of the other kids have never even heard of the Lings and most of the adults seemed to have forgotten or don’t care. Carl, my mom’s boyfriend, thinks the police did a lousy job investigating.  He made quite a stink about it and the Sheriff’s department got rid of him.  He even knew who did it.  That was the problem, he tried to get the murderer arrested, and HE got fired.  He and my mom could tell you a lot. Because of the way they disappeared, he thinks it had to be someone they trusted. Someone they would have gotten into a car and driven off with. Carl’s from Delaware and used to be a detective there.  He thinks these small-town cops are pretty stupid.  He and my mom met in Colorado, that’s where she’s from.  He moved there because he likes to ski, and then got a job here when I was about one.  He helped my mom get her job as a dispatcher right after he got hired.  I could go on and on and tell you a whole lot more; but there isn’t enough time right now.  Lunch is just about over, but they were murdered and the murderer is still here in Logan.  I’m sure of it.”

          Just then the bell rang and after a couple of quick “bye’s” and “see ya later,” we all went our separate ways.  Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedules were different from Tuesday, Thursday, and I was pleasantly surprised to find Amanda in my history class.  It was our last class of the day.  Amanda motioned to me to sit next to her, and after all the introductions, something I was trying to be more pleasant about, we settled into the lecture.  After class, Amanda quietly asked me to wait a minute as we walked towards our lockers.

          “Anna,” Amanda began slowly, “something really strange happened to the Lings in that house; but I don’t know what it was.  My father’s uncle, Uncle Charlie, knew the Lings really well. He was very close to them.  He’s a very private person, but from what he’s said, I don’t think he believes they were murdered. Carl, the guy Bekah mentioned, says Max Teeples had something to do with it, with the help of Bobby Sekaquaptewa.  Bobby was a friend of the Lings and Uncle Charlie too. He disappeared about the same time the Lings did.  Max Teeples was a suspect, but he was cleared.  That’s kind-a how Carl got fired.  He kept pushing the police to arrest Mr. Teeples even after he was cleared.  The Teeples family has lived in the area for more than a hundred years and even though they’re not rich, they seem to know just about everybody.  I know Beth Teeples a little, she’s in our grade and in one of my classes. She’s nice. She’s kind of a cross between a Molly and a Jock.”

          “A Molly, what’s a Molly?” I asked.

          “Oh, sorry, tries to be super good,… but she’s not conceited like some, does all that domestic stuff, goes to church, like every day, gets along really well with her family. Sometimes dresses old style. Never swears.  Nice to everybody.” then after pausing and looking like she was deep in thought she continued, “kind-a peculiar, but I guess in a nice sort a way.  Mrs. Young is kind of an adult version. Uncle Charlie knows the Teeples really well, and says the Lings were really good friends with the Teeples.  He told me, there is no way Max Teeples would hurt anyone. Their family likes to hunt and sometimes they go with Uncle Charlie.  Even though I don’t know Beth that well, part of my family has known the Teeples as long as they’ve lived in the area.  Carl and Sue, Bekah’s mom, really hate hunting and hunters, so that’s another conflict, they’ve had with the Teeples and Uncle Charlie for a long time.”

          “Could I meet your father’s uncle sometime” I asked.

“I’m sure you can; but he’s pretty reserved and I doubt he’ll tell you much, if anything.  He was in the first Gulf war where he lost a leg and since then he’s retreated into himself and his work even more than before.  He’s Shoshone, and a quarter Nimiipuu, I think.  It takes him quite a while to trust people.”

 Really surprised, I asked; “are you Indian?” And with a little stutter and a lot of embarrassment, “or… a… Native American?” I felt kind of proud of myself for having remembered and used the more politically correct term. “I’ve never known anyone who was Native American.”

          “I’m a quarter Shoshone, with, I guess, a little Nimiipuu.  Most people call Nimiipuu, Nez Perce.  I’m also one quarter French and one-half Sicilian.  That’s enough to be registered with the tribe, but I look more like my Sicilian mom, than my Shoshone relatives. There used to be a lot of Shoshone around here, but not so much anymore.  By the way, Bekah doesn’t think much of my uncle Charlie so you probably don’t want to bring him up around her.  I don’t even know if she knows we’re related.”
          The next morning, I caught up with Amanda on the school steps and asked; “Can you introduce me to Beth? I would like to meet her family and ask them about the Lings.  Perhaps you could come with me since you at least know her.”

          “Sure, she should be here in just a few minutes, in fact, there she is…” as Amanda gestured towards a tall girl walking from the parking lot, coming towards us… We both looked at Beth as she started up the steps. She was wearing jeans with light blue snow boots and a light blue winter coat with a hood.  The hood was down exposing her long curled red hair. As she reached the top of the steps, I realized she must be 6’ or 6’’1”. She had very distinct freckles and though not ugly, was not especially cute. “Hi Beth,” said Amanda, “I wanted to introduce you to Anna. She just moved here. Do you have a couple of minutes?”

          Beth smiled and said, “sure, nice to meet you Anna. Can we go inside? I’m kind-a cold.” “Sure,” both Amanda and I answered as we walked in the school door.  I didn’t waste any time and quickly started the conversation again.  I think I either sounded nervous or cold as we unbuttoned our coats in the hall.

          “Beth, I just moved into the old Ling house and everything I’ve been hearing has been kind of freaky. I heard you and your family knew the Lings, and I know this might sound kind of weird, but I was wondering if I could talk with your parent’s sometime about the whole thing. I’m hoping Amanda will come too.  It would really help me if I understood more about what happened.  My parents were even surprised when they found out. Would that be possible?”

          “I’ll find out,” responded Beth. “When would you like to come over?”

          “Well, I’m going to the university library this Saturday with my mom. How about Sunday or next Saturday?”

          “Sunday’s are usually pretty busy for us and we try to do family things when we can, but I’ll ask about next Saturday.  I’ll text my mom and should be able to let you or Amanda know by the end of the day.  I’ve got to talk to a teacher before school starts.  I’ll talk to you soon, nice to meet you Anna.” Beth smiled, then turned and walked down the hall. I then looked at Amanda again.  “I’m sorry, I guess I didn’t really ask if you wanted to come. Would that be ok?”

          “Sure, I’ll check with my mom to make sure. The Teeples don’t live far from either of us.  If it works out, I’ll walk to your place and we can walk over together. I’ll let you know in the morning.”
          I was late to the cafeteria that day and didn’t see either Amanda or Beth.  Bekah was sitting with a group of friends and was just about ready to leave when I saw her. “Bekah,” I said, loud enough so she could hear as I again ran to catch up.  I was out of breath again and thought she might think I was stalking her or something.  Not very cool, I needed to control this better. “The other day you said there was more you and your family could tell me about the Ling disappearance. Could I come over sometime?”

          “Sure! My mom works Saturday night, but Sunday afternoon should be ok. I’ll text my mom right now and ask.  Both she and Carl should be home. It should just take a minute. … Yeah, that will be fine.  Anytime between 1 and 3.  Here’s my address and phone number in case you get lost.  It’s on the other side of town so you’ll probably need to get a ride. Gotta go.”

Bekah handed me the piece of paper with the address and phone number she had just written as she took off with her friends, and I finally sat down to eat. I was pretty pleased with myself.  I would take a look at the Ling collection Saturday morning, talk with Bekah’s family Sunday and if all goes well, see the primary suspect, Max Teeples the next Saturday.  I just needed to meet and talk with Amanda’s Uncle Charlie.  I was sure I could get him to talk to me.  After all, I could charm just about anyone if I wanted to, bad enough.
          The next day went just about exactly the way I had hoped.  All the appointments were lined up except Uncle Charlie, but no worries, just a matter of time.  I did have a lot of homework and some of the classes were harder than I expected.  But, if I really focused, and T.J. didn‘t bother me, I’d get it all done this weekend, even with the investigation.

 

 

No comments: