Saturday, December 19, 2020

Chapter 4: Carl Stuki

 

Chapter 4: Carl Stuki

         

          That night I had another troubling dream.  This time it was all four of the Lings; but they looked like they did in the pictures I had seen, with Tye about 7 and Mia about 5.  I could see them all clearly.  We talked for a little while.  Cara Ling said I would understand everything if I wanted to badly enough and continued to search.

 

          I was up again early Sunday morning and started right on my homework.  I knew my mom and dad would be up around nine, so I decided to make breakfast.  I could read my history book while I was cooking.  This may have been more than necessary to get back in my mom’s good graces; but I wanted to make sure there would be no problems when it was time to go to Bekah’s house.  This could be my only chance to learn about the clues the police knew and may have covered up or kept secret.  My dad was the first to come into the kitchen sniffing and smiling. 

“Is that French toast you’re making?  What’s the occasion?”

“Oh, nothing really, I know I haven’t been much help lately, so I thought I’d try to do better,” I answered. 

“Dinner last night, now breakfast, that really is a nice change, thank you Anna.  Your mom’s awake and will be down in just a few minutes.  T.J.’s still asleep, but it won’t hurt him to get up and have breakfast with the family.  I’ll go get him,” my dad then turned to go back upstairs.  Just a couple minutes later, my mother came down. 

“Your dad said you were cooking breakfast.  I was going to set the table, but it looks like you’ve already done that.  Can I do anything to help?”  “No, I’ve got it under control.  Orange juice and French toast.  Just have a seat and I’ll get it on the table,” I replied cheerfully.  “I brought the paper in too, it’s on the counter behind you, if you want to take a look.” 

“Thank you, Anna,” my mom got her coffee going then took the paper and sat down.  I could see T.J. coming down the stairs, rubbing his eyes with my dad right behind him. 

“Good morning, T.J.,” I said as I greeted T.J. as cheerfully as possible without overdoing it.  “Everyone have a seat and dig in while it’s hot.”  I then placed the French toast and juice on the table.  T.J. still seemed half asleep as he began to eat.  My mom and dad started to discuss what was in the paper that morning and I continued to read my history book.  As everyone was finishing breakfast, I got up and when I started to clear the table my father raised his left hand in a motion telling me to stop as he finished swallowing, “T.J. can clean up and put everything away, you made breakfast.  Besides, I helped him finish his homework and it looks like you still have some to do.”  T.J. groaned as he, still looking half asleep, got up and started clearing the table. 

“Thanks T.J., thanks Dad,” I said as I took my book and returned to my room.  I would wait to ask about going to Bekah’s later.  I didn’t want to be too obvious and ask right after breakfast.  My parents weren’t stupid, especially my mom.  Finishing my homework just before noon, I thought about who I should ask.  I knew my dad would be easier; but, I also knew that if I asked him, my mom would think I was being manipulative and that could cause more problems so I decided it best to just ask her directly.  As I was walking through the den and into the living room, I saw both my parents reading.  “Mom, I’m all done with my homework and one of the girls I met in science asked me over this afternoon.  Would it be ok if I went… and” with a slightly imploring look, “would one of you take me and pick me up?  It’s right here in town, just a couple of miles away.” 

My mother looked up and with a grin that said she knew what was going on; but, was going to allow it anyway, as reinforcement, for positive behavior, she said; “sure, I’ll take you and can pick you up, but I want you to take my cell and if anything changes I want you to call the house phone.  And if I need to get a hold of you, I want you to answer.  What time do you need to go?” 

“About quarter to one” I answered, with a smile. I understood I wasn’t really fooling my mom; but, that didn‘t really matter because I was getting what I wanted.  “Thanks,” I continued, “I’ll go call Bekah and let her know.”  The cell phone was still a point of irritation for me.  I used to have my own, and my mom and dad both had one of their own.  Now the only cell phone was my mom’s.  Dad didn’t seem to mind, but I sure wasn’t happy about it.

          I returned to the living room with my coat and boots on and my backpack ready at 12:40 and took a seat in the overstuffed chair opposite where my mom was sitting.  Very politely I said, “I’m ready when you are.” 

          “Ok, let me finish this page and I’ll be right with you.”  My mom continued to read for only a minute or two and then, placing a bookmark in the book, she was reading, placed the book down and got up from her seat.  I didn’t quite catch what mom was reading, I thought it said something like Uncommon Therapy; but my mom was always reading some sort of psychology book.  All this psychology had been quite annoying at times and it rather irritated me that my mother always acted like she knew what I was thinking, even when she didn’t.  Unfortunately, sometimes she did know, but… sometimes she didn’t.   

          Grabbing her purse, mom said; “ok, let’s go” as she picked up her coat, which was already placed on another chair next to where she had been sitting.  “Here’s my cell,” she said as we walked out the door and handed me her phone.  “Do you have the address?” 

“Yes, I’ve written it down for you.” I gave her a piece of paper with the address.

          As we drove to Bekah’s my mom asked, “so who is Bekah?” 

“Oh, just someone I met in science my first day.  I’ve had lunch with her a couple of times.  She’s lived here most of her life but was born in Denver.  Her mom works as a dispatcher for the Sheriff’s or Police department and her mom’s boyfriend works for some environmental organization.  She wears Lucky a lot.  She’s really cute, and popular.  Seems like she’s pretty smart.  That’s about all I know, right now.  You can come to the door and meet them if you want.”

          “Oh, that’s ok, I’ll just wait to make sure you get in ok.  What time do you want me to come back for you?”

          “Would 3:00 be ok?  I’ll call if it’s any different.”

“Yes, that will be fine, I’ll be here right at three o’clock sharp.  If you need to change the time, call at least 20 minutes before 3.” 

          “OK, thanks mom,” I responded, as I got out of the car and walked up to the house.  Bekah’s house looked kind of new and about medium size.  It was a one story with a two-car garage.  There were evergreen trees and shrubs all around.  When I got to the door, I rang the bell and Bekah quickly answered.  I turned to wave to my mom, knowing she was probably waiting to make sure I got in ok before leaving. 

          “Hi, come on in.  You can hang your coat on one of the hooks.”  She pointed to a row of hooks attached to some kind of strip on the wall as I walked in.  Immediately I noticed beautiful pictures of wildlife, forests, and flowers on the walls.  One large picture showed a rain forest somewhere with the words Love the Earth.  Some pictures said something about saving this or that animal, bird, fish, or something about the earth. 

          A very attractive woman, who looked like a, just barely older version of Bekah appeared and said; “hello, I’m Sue.  Have a seat; Carl will be out in just a few minutes.  I’m going to send some e-mails while you and Carl and Bekah talk.” 

          “Nice to meet you.”  I was a little surprised because I thought I would be able to talk with both Sue and Carl 

          “My mom doesn’t want to be in the room while you talk to Carl,” explained Bekah.  “She still works for the Sheriff’s department and doesn’t want anyone to be able to say she had anything to do with this.  She’s afraid she might lose her job if she were involved in any of the old Ling stuff.  Let’s sit down.  Carl will be right out.”  Moments later a tall, blond, ruggedly handsome man came out of what appeared to be the kitchen. 

          Smiling, he extended his hand and said; “hi Anna, it’s nice to meet you.  I understand you live in the old Ling house and would like to know what happened.  I’ll tell you everything I can.  You need to understand, that knowing a lot about murder, especially when the killer is still on the loose, can be dangerous.  Are you sure you want to hear all this?”

“Yes!” I answered with great anticipation as I removed the pad and pen from my pack. 

          “It all started soon after the Lings moved to Logan and started teaching at the university.  They were mostly well received by the people at the university.  Like us, most of them aren’t from around here anyway, so they didn’t have a lot of the prejudices like the old-timers do.  Mostly they associated with people from the university, but problems started when they became friends with a local family, a crazy old Indian, and one of their students.  The student’s name was Bobby Sekaquaptewa.  He was a hot head, and a troublemaker.  I’ve heard his father was too.  Bobby had quite a temper.  In my mind, there were three people who may have been involved with their disappearance, and I believe the murder of at least Alan Ling.” 

“When I was with the Sheriff’s department there were quite a few times I found Bobby Sekaquaptewa drunk.  I’d take him home just to keep him out of trouble.  Tried to be his friend.  He started spending a lot of time with the Lings.  From what I learned in the investigation; they were doing all kinds of research into the occult.  Bobby was really into Native American religious beliefs and rites.  I guess it was a part of their work at the university, but it seemed pretty strange to some people who got wind of what they were doing.  They were trying to find some kind of magical healing or something.  Almost more mystical than mythological.  Bobby was a radical and I think he got the Lings involved with some of his personal issues.  He was one of those anti-government, anti UN types.  One of those people that if he was still alive, some federal agency would be keeping a close eye on him.  The other person, who really got involved with the Lings, and originally my second suspect, was an old man by the name of Charlie Blackeagle.  He lives alone in a small place out in the county.  He’s a crazy old coot.  Some people thought he had something to do with the disappearances.  Anyway, he was up in Fort Hall when they disappeared…  visiting some relatives or something like that.  He had pretty good alibis for that whole time, so he was dropped as a suspect.  I’d be surprised if he doesn’t know more than he’s saying though, but, then again, he’s so crazy, it’s hard to know what he does and doesn’t know.  He’s a first gulf war vet and lost a leg, probably has psychological problems from the war, so maybe it’s not completely his fault.  Whether he had anything to do with the disappearance or not, he’s crazy, dangerous, and owns a bunch of guns.  Right after the Lings disappeared Charlie came back from Fort Hall.  One morning, pretty early, the police were driving by the Ling place.  Still had yellow tape around to keep people out because it was a probable crime scene.  They saw a light on and stopped to investigate.  When they got close to the house, they heard noises, it was Charlie talking to himself, wondering around the house.  Said he just wanted to take a couple of pictures for memories.  They just took him home.  Didn’t even take his camera to find out what pictures he was taking.  They said they checked him and he hadn’t taken anything from the scene.  Shoddy police work if you ask me.  There was another time or two he was in the house early in the morning after the tape was taken down.  He was warned not to go back.  Neighbors would hear something or see a light and call the police.  He finally stopped going sometime in the spring, and to my knowledge hasn’t been back.  You watch yourself, he’s real crazy.  Like I said, an old man like that shouldn’t have guns, and I wouldn’t be surprised if you hear in the news sometime that he’s shot somebody.  I warned the department, but they just ignored me.  Old Charlie and Bobby Sekaquaptewa were good friends.  Bobby was the troublemaker and Charlie was the crazy one.  Bobby disappeared right about the same time the Lings did.  There had been some kind of altercation in the Ling house with blood spots on the carpet in the den.  Most of the blood was confirmed to be Alan Ling’s but they weren’t able to match the other spot.  Personally, I think it was Bobby Sekaquaptewa’s… it makes sense, he disappeared with all his things.  Like I said, shoddy police work.

          Now my third suspect is Max Teeples.  He didn’t actually kill Alan Ling, but he was involved.  He was having an affair with Cara Ling.  It’s well documented that he would go out of town with her for a day or two at a time.  Credit card statements, eyewitnesses, you name it.  He and Bobby were involved in some of the same radical groups.  Maybe Cara didn’t want Max so much as she just wanted out of the marriage.  I think Max Teeples planned to be out of town.  Maybe Charlie Blackeagle did too, so Bobby could do the dirty work.  Cara and the kids hadn’t been seen for a couple of days before they were discovered missing, so Bobby could have easily taken them someplace to wait for Max, or just leave town.  Hell, she might have even known what was going to happen and decided to just leave.  I understand she had a lot of relatives in Kenya.  Maybe she and the kids are there now.  After getting Cara and the kids out of there, Bobby came back to the house and killed Alan, disposed of the body, and just disappeared.  He must have known that if he was ever caught, they could match his blood.  I’m sure Max knows what happened and I bet his wife knows something too.  She’s just one of those dutiful women who wouldn’t dare say anything against her husband.  She’d be afraid she’d go to hell or something and of course, she can’t be forced to testify as long as they’re married.  I tried to get the police and sheriff’s department to follow up on leads; but that only got me fired.  They could have matched the blood with something from Bobby, but like I said, damm shoddy police work.  The Teeples put on a good front, I’ll give them that.  They’ve got this whole town fooled.

          Charlie hasn’t gotten into much trouble since the disappearance, except for the trespassing and poaching, people just complain but nothing ever happens.  Teeples is another story.  He’s really involved in a lot of right-wing activities.  Both he and his wife went to one of those Tea Parties last summer.  Did you get all that?” 

“Yes, thank you very much,” I answered as I frantically took notes. 

“Well, do you have any questions?”

“No, but if I do can I talk with you again?”

“Sure, any time.” Carl then got up from his chair and returned to the kitchen.”

          Bekah and I just talked for a while.  She told me what she liked to do.  She said she often visits family in Denver and really loves it there.  After chatting for a while and knowing my mom would soon be here, I asked; “Can I say good bye to your mom before I leave?” “Sure, she’s in their bedroom, we can stop in for a minute.” She got up and led the way down the hall and into the room.  “Mom, Anna wanted to say goodbye before leaving,” said Bekah just as we entered the bedroom.  The room was decorated in dark rich colors and looked very comfortable, very nice.  It reminded me of my parent’s bedroom back in California. 

“I just wanted to thank you for letting me come over and say goodbye before I leave.”  I smiled and gave a little wave to Bekah’s mom. 

“Nice to meet you Anna,” she responded with just a slight smile, “come again anytime.” 

As I turned to leave the room, I noticed an object that caught my eye on the dresser.  It looked like a small Nazi symbol; I had seen something like it in history books.  The four lines were much thicker than usual, and colored, but that was sure what it looked like.  It appeared to have a small hole toward the top and a small black bird towards the bottom on the right.  It looked so out of place that I wanted to get a picture of it.  I then remembered I had my mom’s cell, so I quickly pulled it out and said; “I’d better call my mom and let her know I’m ready.”  As I pulled the cell out of my pocket, I pointed it at the object and with my back to Sue and Bekah, discreetly took a picture before calling my home phone.  “Hi dad, is mom on her way?  Great, thanks, I’ll go outside and wait for her.  Thanks again.”  I then turned back towards Sue and Bekah and walked back into the hall and towards the front door.  Bekah followed me to the door.  Grabbing my coat, I turned towards Bekah to say; “thanks again, see you in the morning.” Opening the door, I could see my mom’s car just as she was driving up.  Before getting home, I had the picture e-mailed to my account and deleted from my mom’s phone.

          The next week was much too busy with school to spend any time on the investigation.  I had my first dream about Bobby Sekaquaptewa.  I didn’t understand or remember most of it.  It was the most frightening dream so far, causing me to wake up in a cold sweat.  I also had another dream about Tye.  Similar to the first one.  During the week I was able to sit with Bekah and her friends a couple of times, Amanda a couple of times and another girl, Vicki, I had just met. I think some guy named Paul was hitting on me; but I didn’t give him any encouragement.

Arrangements were finalized with Amanda and Beth to visit the Teeples; but that was the extent of my investigative progress.  Unfortunately, I didn’t even have enough time to review my notes until the following week.  I was a little nervous about the Teeples visit, but I didn’t think it was anything I couldn’t handle.


 


No comments: